[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - First three piece bow! 2nd Gen starts on pg 13

Skip to content

First three piece bow! 2nd Gen starts on pg 13

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: First three piece bow! 2nd Gen starts on pg 13

Postby Apex Predator » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:55 am

This bow is driving me nuts. I got the limbs lined up as good as I could, drilled the pins, and still have a little twist! It's not bad, and it should work out. Now I need to go research on how to correct the twist. I never can keep it straight, as how I have very little practice. The other models I build come out straight 99% of the time.

Here are a few photos. I'll show the 1st and 2nd generations together here, so you can see the differences.

The new riser enables me to have less brace height, which should translate into a high 180s (with fingers) shooter.

The differences: The newest, or bottom bow has 5" of wedge past the riser instead of 6". The back profile is wider on the bottom bow. I still need to narrow the outer limbs, which will encourage them to bend more. I should get less bend outside the fades as well. The bottom riser is two inches longer. No other wedges or power lams.

Here is an un-braced shot.

Apex Predator

Postby MOUNTER » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 pm

I like the new one even more!! Nice work!
MOUNTER

Postby Kirkll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 pm

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Apex Predator » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:56 am

Kirk, the taper is .003. When I get the limbs a little closer to where they need to be I'll post a profile photo. They are wide right now. Full 1 3/8" most of the limb, and then tapering to 5/8" or so tips. I've got some alignment/narrowing/weight reduction still to do.

This counter sink bit is the "bomb"! Perfect alignment, no chatter, and the bolt head fits well. Here are some shots.

Apex Predator

Postby Apex Predator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 am

She's a sweet shooter! I left the limbs wider on this second bow, and it worked out better in the stability dept. I'm using the black glass that we all bought on sale, and I'm wondering if a different type of glass will give her more side/side stability? I'll shoot her through the chrony soon, and report what I find. I need to take another full draw photo as well, because I got the tips bending a little more.

Apex Predator

Postby jwillis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 am

Those recessed limb bolts look really clean, and the tips are nicely shaped. Great job. Jim
jwillis

Postby Kirkll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 am

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Apex Predator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 am

That's my wool yarn recurve treatment Kirk. This second generation bow has less string contact than the first though, cause I cut off another inch from each limb.
Apex Predator

Postby bmb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 am

i love the looks of the bow!! can i have it?! :lol:
bmb

Postby wantoknow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:35 am

I agree with bmb nice bow.
Want To Know
wantoknow

Previous

Return to Board index