Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Okay folks… many of you know that I went to the Rod Jenkins clinic at Lancaster Archery back in April. So far… save for one day at Baltimore, I haven’t shot past 10 yards; I haven’t shot at a critter, or a 3D target, a leaf or a stump. I’ve stayed on that friggin bale. I’ve been working on all the parts of the shot sequence as per Rod’s instruction. That rascal changed everything and it’s been tough on this old dog to learn these new tricks. :^) But…. for the first time in 30 years I can hold at full draw, expand, and even let down if things aren’t quite right.

I’ve been a self-taught hunter (learned everything wrong) and I don’t want to loose any of my gains… so… how should I proceed? We didn’t go in to this part in the clinic. Do I continue to work at short distances, or go ahead back to 15 and 20? Do I sell out to the bridge or continue working on the bale and bridge slowly?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 am

Archery is a hobby. Have fun with it. If it's like work, then you should be getting paid for it.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:52 am

I completely changed my form about 2 years ago and spent a while on the bale. I did not do the bridge instead I shot for groups. If I couldnt hold a group then I wasn't doing everything the same and it was time to figure that out on the bail, make an adjust ment and move on. But I am impatient and lazy :)

I think if I were you I would email Rod and ask him.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:06 am

I'll tell you this Jim, to me, the bridge is THE secret to this whole approach, at 1st I didnt beleive it would do anything but I was wrong. Its what instills confidence in your bale shot, lets you trust it more than what you were doing before. I think you should call Rod and listen to him explain it better than the typed word.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby LBR » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am

Yep--talk to Rod and see what he can offer. Think about this--you said you didn't want to loose what you had gained over the years. How long did it take to gain that, compared to what you gained by listening to Rod?

I know Rod isn't a "one size fits all, do it exactly like I do or you are wrong" kind of guy. He will guide you in the right direction.

Chad
LBR

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 am

At the risk of sounding dumb ( I've done that many post ago) I have some questions, how bad or how good, where your groups to begin with?, how much beter do you expect to get? I'm self taught and I have been tweeking little by little from what I've gleaned here ,my way of thinking is hunting, and how close I miss the " x ' not how many times I hit it kinda like a pool shark but I call my shots after they hit I say " I ment to do that" I could honestly tell you that the difference between the trad and compound guys is just a smaller circle of arrows, and the difference on the 3d course is the trad guys can find their arrows when they miss the foam. I mean no dissrespect! I'm just curious and believe me I have planted many ceader shafts in the woods I hope I'm not out of line with this thanks and good luck JEFF W
jeffhalfrack

Postby topcamp » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 am

But…. for the first time in 30 years I can hold at full draw, expand, and even let down if things aren’t quite right.

I’ve been a self-taught hunter (learned everything wrong) and I don’t want to loose any of my gains… so… how should I proceed?

carefully ........because...........here's what's most likely going to happen .........this fall you will have an 18 yrd shot in the dakotas at the most massive bc whitetail you have ever seen..........he will stand broadside and have no clue you are there..................what's your brain going to do.........??????.......use what you've used for a lifetime that has worked .........or will you have the whatever it takes to carry out the new you..........and make it work.........because a lot of your computer at this point is firing up the old hard drive.........

now i know ..........joe is rolling on the floor right now...........and yohon is shaking his head, but he knows that i know me..................i spent a whole year working on changing my shot about four/five years ago.............a whole fricking year learning to do it like you guys............no rod jenkins school........but watching and coaching from hank......yohon......my friend dennis......and his dad.................and i could do it........by my self.............it didn't work though at all under group pressure............and it sure as hell didn't work when that same whitetail i'm talking about showed up in front of me.................my old brain fired...........my new way of shooting tried.........tried to hold the line...............but everything fired so fast that nothing came on line except launching an arrow for a new september flight record over the awesome bucks back...............oh how i cried in pain...................and the few years before i tried to shoot the way you real men do.........i had a style of shooting that worked hunting wise..........no target panic...........oh i would miss once in awhile......but not because my brain came unglued at what was in front of me...........i really .....really ......wanted to go to rods clinic at lancastor this year..............but ...........this old dog has decided that it's to late and what i'm doing works for me .......in the woods and on some days .......it can even hang with joe and the yohons of the world.............it managed to get the arrow in the same 55 yrd piece of foam that yohon......and joe.......and mike did shooting the real way..............

i'll bet you that when that buck shows up this year ...............your holding a full draw ...........and rods clinic.............and .......and .................will give way in nano seconds to the old dogs journey that got him there in the first place...............and the combo of spinning drives will send an arrow into canada..........as a passover ........not thru...............hope i'm wrong about it.........but i doubt if i will be ............

sometimes................sometimes..............there comes a time when a system that worked for years ............no matter how wrong or strange it might seem to the blackboard formula......has more artistic value both in field results ....... meat in the freezer........and wall hangings than will ever again be achieved by a new trail taken................joe .......yohon.......randy......and even mike.........are beautiful to watch when shooting............and certainly rod's abilities to teach are never more evident than in mikes progress...........and all of these guys started with good foundations and coaching and years and years of getting it right...........not self taught like you and i.........................gleaning in my case what ever i could from books ,forums and videos........and line advice at every foam shoot i went to ............until i came up with something that was fool proof and worked for me.

yup........sure as hell hope you pull it off big jim........................but come fall........heed my words.....................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 am

Nothing like those words of encouragement!!! :mrgreen:

I dread the day I decide my shooting isn't good enough and I need to make a big change!!!! :o
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:43 am

GEEZE TOPCAMP !!! I wish I could talk like that, thats what I think I had in mind thanks JEFF W
jeffhalfrack

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:04 am

Jeff,

It grieves me to have to tell you, but… you (nor anyone else) will EVER be able to talk like that—one-of-a-kind, he is. :mrgreen:

tc,

That’s my worst fear, :o but I’ve been through it all. I shot with a clicker forever, then… started anticipating it. I blew up and had to start shooting lefty. It’s frustrating, but I think this is my last/best hope to be able to function on the right side. We’ll see.

I’d like to jump in F.D.’s head and “learn” what he did. I shot with him a couple years ago at Compton’s and he seemed to have the stuff as bad as me. The next year at Compton’s he was rock solid and burning up the 3D range. Darn guy should write a book.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum