Skip to content

Browning bows

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Browning bows

Postby JimmyFingers » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 am

I own an Explorer II, and have shot several other Browning bows....My favorite was a little Wasp, it was smooth, quick, and seemed to shoot like a longer bow (if that makes sense??)...Anyway, the Browning bows were designed by Harry Drake, and Harry knew His stuff...Browning bows also seem to be made very well, and look sweet, and shoot with better performance than alot of the other , more desirable bows from the 60's - 70's..Yet, the Collectible market doesnt seem to be much for Browning bows ..I've often wondered why??...Any other folks on here like Browning bows?.....My Dad hunted with a Browning "Nomad" back in the late 60's, maybe that's why I've always thought favorably of them, He used to speak highly about that Nomad when I was a kid...Jim
Last edited by JimmyFingers on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Re: Browning bows

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Didn't browning buy the company from a well know bowyer???? I loved the namad! JEFF W
jeffhalfrack

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:52 pm

gordon composites sold to browning arms in 1973,
jeffhalfrack

Postby willob » Fri May 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I collect and hunt with Browning bows. The first Browning Archery catalogue came out in I believe 1962. I think the bows were originally made by Gordon Plastics and at some point Browning bought them out. Harry Drake did design many of the Brownings but I am not sure when he came on board. My favorite bows to hunt with are the Cobra II's, Explorer I & II and the Backpacker takedowns. I also have a beautiful Safari I and Nomad II that shoots extremely well. I think that overall the Browning line had the best shooting bows and some of the nicest wood of any brand out there. I wish we could find someone that worked for Browning that had some of the history so it could be written down before it is lost. I know the archery manufacturing facility was located in California for most of the recurve days. Maybe someone knows someone that worked there.
willob

Postby hawk4570 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

I have an explorer 2 and have won an explorer1 that is new in the box with all papers and records. I have not recieved it yet, should be getting it at the end of the week. Being a Browning myself and some kin to John I proboley paid to much for it.

Bill Browning
hawk4570

Postby dkard » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 pm

A friend of mine was a consultant for Browning, He worked with Drake and was a good friend of Harry's. HE was also one of the models in the Browning Catalog one year. I'd like to find a copy of that sometime. I'm guessing that was around 72.

dave
dkard

Postby willob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 am

Dave, there is not much information out there about the browning bows. Do you think your friend could educate us on some of the specifics about the bows? Maybe he knows other people that also worked for browning? Where were the bows made in which years, who were the bowyers, did Browning make all of there own bows, did they buy out Gordon glass, what happened to the equipment used in the manufacturer, can you use the serial number to date the bow?
willob

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:52 pm

SHHHHHH!!!!!!! the prices will go up!!! dammit! JEFF W
jeffhalfrack

Postby Dirt Nap » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Any other folks on here like Browning bows?

I got a Nomad Stalker from a neighbor 45@28, 52". I keep it in my shop and shoot it while I dick around reading these forums. It was very cheap but still looks like new and will flat out smoke a GT 35/55. Wish I had a chrony. It will get to go this fall as a backup, may get first up sometime, it's pretty sweet.
Dirt Nap

Postby Cottonwood » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am

I got a Wasp 38# 56"AMO in really good shape, that was sent to me by someone that just had no use for it. Now I just wish I could find more information like I can on my Bears.
Cottonwood

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum