[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Quiver build-a-long

Skip to content

Quiver build-a-long

If you like to tinker with big or small projects and make new gadgets, this forum is for you. From arrow building to making a new kind of rest to replacing the cables and strings off your compound, here's a place where you can find like-minded people to discuss your ideas.

Quiver build-a-long

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm

I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making a back quiver. Never done one before but how hard can it be? My youngest son has his 21st birthday coming up and as he has absconded with one of my Steven Catts back quivers I thought I would try and make him something real nice for his birthday.

The first thing I did was spend about 3 hours coming up with a design and pattern that I wanted to use. I cut about six different patterns out of heavy poster board and actually put the quivers together with tape before I finally found one I wanted to use.

I then transferred the pattern to my leather and cut it out. I used 8-9 oz. tooling leather which might be a touch heavy for making a quiver out of. I like a quiver to have a thick opening at the mouth so that it stays open and makes it easier to return the arrows to it. I decided to beef it up a little extra around the mouth with an overlay.

I decided that I wanted to make the over lay kind of fancy so I found a deer head pattern and then transferred it to the center of the over lay.

I then used a swivel knife to cut the pattern into the leather
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Quiver build-a-long

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:08 pm

I then spent about three hours stamping a basket weave pattern in the over lay as well and relief carving the deer head. I then used a back ground stamp to mat down the whole area behind the deer head to make it stand out. I then applied a coat of antique finish to it. I knew I was going to stain the quiver itself light brown and wanted a contrasting color for the top overlay.

I then stained the quiver body itself and punched holes to stich the overlay all the way across the top and bottom of it.

I used a saddle stitch and heavy waxed brown thread for all of my sewing.

Once I finished with the top overlay I tooled the bottom overlay with a basket weave pattern. I used a large "B" (for his last name) as the center focus point on the bottom overlay. I then stained and stitched it on the bottom of the quiver body like I did the top overlay.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 pm

I then cut out the quiver strap out of the same leather.

I stamped the whole strap with a basket weave pattern and stamped his name "Jake" on the strap right where it comes across the shoulder. I then stained it and used edge dressing on the edges and boned the edges.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm

I then cut out a pocket and flap for the pocket. Actually I cut out three pockets before I got it where I wanted it.

I then tooled the pocket flap with a basket weave pattern

Then I staind the pocket and flap, dressed the edges and boned them and then punched the stitching holes in them.

I then stitched the flap onto the quiver body. I want this thing to last for awhile so I did a double row of stitching.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Then I wet the leather of the pocket to make it easier to form and sewed the bottom corners together.

Then it was time to stitch the pocket to the quiver.
I also punched the holes that will be used for the laces that will secure the flap.

Like I said, I want this thing to last for awhile so I flipped it over and put a big gob of super glue on all of the knots where I finished sewing. I then hammered them into a stitching hole so they would not stick out and get caught on a judo or something.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Now it is time to lace the quiver body together. This thing was really stiff what with the over lays and all. I wet it to make it more pliable and used a piece of 4" PVC pipe to form it to shape.

In order to assist me in holding it together while I laced it I used several wire zip ties.

I used a cross stitch pattern to lace it up with leather lace.

Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 pm

I then threaded a piece of lace through the holes I had punched in the pocket.

Now it is time to cut out the bottom. I wanted the bottom to be inverted inside the body of the quiver so I cut the bottom piece 3/4" wider than the quiver body all the way around.

I wanted to reinforce the bottom in case my son decides to tote some broadheads around in this thing. I cut out a piece the size of the inside opening at the bottom of the quiver. I had a piece of bad leather that had a brand on it so I used this at the bottom of the quiver. I used barge cement to glue the two pieces together.

I then stained the leather for the bottom of the quiver. While I waited for it to dry, I sewed on an antler button on the pocket flap and drilled small pieces of antler and slid them on the two pieces of lace.

Then it was time to lace on the bottom of the quiver. I wet it to make it easier to work with. I have learned so far that when lacing with latigo lacing a pair of needle nose pliars is indespensible.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 pm

I then put a couple of heavy coats of edge dressing around the layers of leather at the top opening and boned the edges real good. Next I put on four coats of leather sheen to help protect it and the project was complete after I buffed it out. I figure I have about 24 hours of cutting, tooling, staining and sewing on this one. I made several mistakes and had to take some stitches out and had to redo some lacing. I actually laced the strap on backwards the first time. I already have another one cut out and figure that by using the existing pattern and not making some of the mistakes I made with the first one I will have about 15 hours in a fancy, tooled quiver. Makes the time sitting in front of the t.v. watching the olympics go a lot faster.

Stykshooter

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am

WOW! That looks great!
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Yohon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 am

Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Tinker's corner