Skip to content

Traveling Build-Along (finished video/pics P21)

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Traveling Swap Build-Along

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey Jon...can you make a POA patch to sew on the case Dick made?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Russell S. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:12 pm

just a thought here... anyone in the know any one in the minting business I thought it would be cool if these swaps and bows here had POA coins inlayed in some of them. i have been looking for a unique shark coin to inlay in to mine, but having them minted is to coast prohibitive if your not in the business of selling bows. I thought about breaking out my silicone molding stuff and trying to make a coin for my bows. cast plastic with foil single sided would be really easy, but i would need a coin to mold in the first place. i think some of the silicone i have laying around will handle zinc, lead, peuter , and gold (i am not brave enough to smelt gold). if some one can carve a a POA coin i certainly could make a pile of coins made of urethane casting resin that could be gold leafed or painted. maybe one of your guys with a CNC router would be willing to try to carve a original. with POA's permission of course. not that i really know who runs or owns the place. just a thought!
do you look up when some one yells "Duck"?
Russell S.

Postby BullMtnArchery » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Russell,
I think your pewter coin idea is cool. Maybe for POA a Skull and Cross bones :?: It is a soft material but once inlayed it could be covered with epoxy to protect it.
I know Marty (Apex Predator) was looking awhile back at having a coin/medalion made for his bows. Maybe he will chime in here and be a customer for you.

I will post on Saturday what woods I chose for the riser. Got a couple combinations brewing :twisted:
Brock
"Never mistake kindness for weakness"
"Character is the type of person you are when no one is around"
BullMtnArchery

Postby Russell S. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm

brock, not really looking for customers! if i do get something decent made up i thought more of just sending them out, it would be payment enough to see a big o buck on the ground with a bow inlayed coin and all across his rack!! its just a thought now, pewter is easy to cast in a soft mold without any special equipment. casting resin would be harder again just running around with ideas... i still would need a non copyrighted original. As for Marty i owe him more then a coin for all the fishing and hunting trips he has included me on, plus all the knowledge he has shared with me, If it wasn't for Marty i would never have been brave enough to make my first bow!
do you look up when some one yells "Duck"?
Russell S.

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:07 am

Glass and glue has been acquired and sent home with Ken. I got some more money in the mail and that will get sent on for the riser wood and shipping costs and whatever. We'll get it sorted out. :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby RandyM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm

This will be cool. Ken...I'll wait for word on dimensions/instructions for the edge grain maple lams for this bow. I imagine you will want 2" wide maybe 1.75". I can do .002 or .001 taper. Talk soon, Randy.
RandyM

Postby BullMtnArchery » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:36 am

Went shopping and got the wood for the riser. Picked up some other wood while I was at it. The best buy was I found a piece of bocote in a scrap bin, 2x3x22 got it for $2.00 :o one end has checked but can easily be worked around. Also got a huge chunk (2x8x26) of bubina in the same bin, $23 bucks and it is perfect ;)

Decided on Yucatan Rosewood, Zebra and Quina (Looks like cocobola with more red not as wavy in the grain pattern) a wood turner friend of mine suggested giving this a try.
Here is a pic and as you can see I had to have my inspector/bow building buddy take a look at it. He approved.
The pic isn't the best as my wife has the good camera with her in Hawaii. I need to replace my blades on my jointer, so I have to wait till tomorrow night to use a buddies planer to make the edges perfect. Will also get lay out cut and glued tomorrow night. Plan to have it out in the mail this week.

Brock
Last edited by BullMtnArchery on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullMtnArchery

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 am

ttt
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kirkll » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:51 am

this is going to be cool as hell guys. :D

we should do one of these a year and do a drawing for it at WTT or something.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby BullMtnArchery » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Changed the plan on the riser. It will be Zebra, Bocote and Bubinga.
Bubinga on the back, Zebra in the middle and an Arc cut into the handle area of Bocote. Using a strip of maple between the sections. Looks good. Will post pics later tonight or tomorrow.

Had a moister issue with the Quina and Rosewood. It was too high. Put it in the hotbox for a day but didn't bring it down much. I didn't want to compromise the integrity of the wood and jack the heat up and then have issue when the riser was built.

Brock
BullMtnArchery

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs