Skip to content

Traveling Build-Along (finished video/pics P21)

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Traveling Build-Along (finished video/pics P21)

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 am

well we had the swap last summer, and most all went well. Lots of fun & a bunch of great bows made & shared. We even had bows go to & from Saudi Arabia.

Doug Wicher was supposed to build for MichBowHunter, but due to some personal problems it's become apparent he either isn't going to send one, or just send a stock bow instead. Well in true Pirate fashion, a bunch of folks have stepped up to make the first ever "Traveling Build-Along" to make sure MichBowHunter gets a Swap Bow.

Here is the batting order......

RandyM - making lams
Crooked Stic - making veneers
Brock (BullMtnArchery) - makes & glues up the riser
rwsbow, Howattman, PAarcher - all donated for the glass & riser wood
MOUNTER, Bobmeister, Longbow - all donated for the glass & riser wood
jeffhalfrack, Bill Grenoble, ben - all donated for the glass & riser wood
Kenro / FD / BK / Longbow / Marc - to glue it up.
Kenro / FD / BK / Longbow / Marc- to shape the limbs, apply overlays & cut nocks
Kenro / FD / BK / Longbow / Marc- cuts the shelf & shape the riser
LBR Making Recurve String
VooDoo - Carve Skull & crossbones on riser
KirkLL - finish sands & sprays.
Sulphur - Making 1/2 dozen matching woodies
Dick - Making canvas recurve case

The glue-up shaping is the only thing that worries me.....we're gonna have 4 Cheeseheads together in the dead of a Wisconsin Winter with alcohol and bowsnot...... :shock: :D

Seriously...thanks for everyone volunteering to help....21 Pirates collaborating on a bow....this should be fun!

Remember to post pics along the way!! ( I heard Dick is already done with his case :) )
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Re: Traveling Swap Build-Along

Postby stickmonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 am

WoW now this is what makes this site what it is !! Kudos too everyone listed , proud to know ya all !!

shane
I think you have ruined me, all I wanted to do when I started this crazyness was shoot a moose with a sharp stick. Now I have to think like an evil scientist and huddle in my dark lab doing millions of esoteric calculations to squeeze that last fps out of my diabolical inventions.ARGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! Ain't it fun!! Bob
stickmonkey

Postby Kirkll » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:13 am

The glue-up shaping is the only thing that worries me.....we're gonna have 4 Cheeseheads together in the dead of a Wisconsin Winter with alcohol and bowsnot......

FOFLMAO!!!!! that's too funny bro... you should have Ken set up the video camera and get a few clips of that get together. i want to see Aaron mixing bow snot with a stick chucked up in a cordless drill. i about pissed myself laughing when he posted that photo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

this should be a fun project. :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby MOUNTER » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 am

Just make sure you don't glue up with alcohol and drink the bow snot. It should be fine! :( :?
MOUNTER

Postby michbowhunter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 am

Holy crap.....that's awsome :D I'm really hoping to get that bow from Doug...either way I would like to keep this a traveling bow. I don't think I should be the only one to see and shoot this thing....although I wouldn't mind getting some blood on it this fall!
Man....I wish this had not been such a secret, I would have liked to help! Let me know if there is anything I can do....besides kill something with it 8-)
If you say you can, or you say you can't....you're right!

www.journeymanarchery.com
michbowhunter

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

michbowhunter wrote:Holy crap.....that's awsome :D I'm really hoping to get that bow from Doug...either way I would like to keep this a traveling bow.

ya it is kinda cool. :D

If you do happen to get the bow from Doug though, it would be your choice which one to keep. But I think giving the other one to Claus would be the best idea.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Dick in Seattle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Here are some pics and comments on the case(s)....

Cases, Mark I and Mark II

Bow in case. Note: This is Khaled's bow I got in the swap.

Showing the quilted inside padding.

This was an interesting project for me. Most of my sewing work is quilting, and I had never installed a zipper before, let alone a full length one like this. I used the same canvas on the outside that I used for my second roll up carrying case for my two piece longbows, but added quilted material inside for padding. I like to do a test run when I do something that is going to be for someone else, and did so here.

The original plan was that I would also add the Pirates logo between the handle straps, using a heat transfer system that I had used before on tee shirts. That part did not work out well. It turned out that the medium was not well suited to the fine line art work of the arrows and feathers, which didn't show well, plus the heat tended to melt the printer ink in places where it was real dark and heavy, making it look smudgy. (A further note on logos below...)

The project is completed. I'd give it a B-. As I said, I was unable to put the artwork on. After five sheets I gave up. These cases aren't works of art, but I didn't want to put something on them that looked kind of Mickey Mouse.

As I made them, I thought the second was better than the first, but as I laid them out on the table finished, it was really close to a toss up. The second has the zipper better sewn in, but I think the first has better corners. One may be about an inch longer than the other. Since I don't really do recurves and already had a commercial recurve case if I ever do, I decided to send both off to BK... one for the project bow and one for him. I thought he deserved something for putting this together.

I will say that if I had no other reason to prefer straight longbows, the the difference between making the simple roll up TD longbow case I made would be enough! :) I made the first case on one of my treadles, but the padding became a bit much for it on the doubled ends, so I used my electric industrial on the second.

I'm really glad that this project is being done and that I could contribute to it. It truly is in the spirit of the Pirates and of the bow swap itself.

Comment: Now that the Pirates have a logo, they really need an embroidered patch that can be sewn on stuff, like hats, jackets, and bow cases. If they want to undertake such an effort, I have good contacts for it. I handled the ordering and artwork approval for the patches for Howard Hill Archery and for the Howard Hill Longbowmen, through Stadri emblems. They did good work and were priced reasonably, in my opinion. Be happy to pass the information on.
Dick in Seattle

"The shop door is open, the coffee is on..."
Dick in Seattle

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 pm

This is all awesome. This is going to work out just fine. :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby MOUNTER » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:16 pm

The patches are a great idea Dick! I'd like to have some!!!!
MOUNTER

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes sir this ought to be a fine looking bow. Just let me know when you want the veneers.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs