Skip to content

Kids Longbow Build-Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Kids Longbow Build-Along

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:32 pm

me too ernie..... i know a lot fo guys like the CA (superglue) but personally i don't like the stuff.... i have seen to many either lift or come off completely...... good old epoxy gets my vote.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:09 pm

I have never had a problem with CA on tip overlays. But I have had some butt overlays lift using it ( stress piont on my limbs). Think I got the cure figured out though. I get better lookin fades on overlays using Smooth-on. I think the key to good adhesion with the CA is surface prep. I use a coarse jig saw blade to ruff up the surfaces.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 am

Crook, there are a bunch of guys that swear by the CA... I had two bows tips come off after using it...and then I talked to 2 or 3 of MT's bigtime bowyers and they all said to use smoothon... so I did! :D I hope you continue to have good luck with it!

Now...butt overlays... holy crap am I having bad luck with those. I think maybe???? mine are too long? I have been extending them upwards of 3/4 inch past the riser and without exception they are all failing over time. My most recent bows I'm holding them back so they dont even get to the end of the riser... HOPEFULLY it will cure the problem. IF not...I have no idea what to do. I use 36 grit on my glass/carbon and on the overlay wood, with smoothon... still lifting! Aaaaargh!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 pm

keeping them over the limbpads should fix your problem since they won't be flexing as much.... also, the thinner you run your overlays, the less trouble you will have with them lifting.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Yeah, I'm going thin for now on....
Hornseeker

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 pm

I usaly make mine .030 or less.I just had to fix one for a guy this week I went back with smooth-on. Should be ok now.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Wow...030... I usually glue a piece on, maybe a 1/4 inch thick, then sand it down till its about 1/8 on the bolt area, but feathered to zero out at the end... I'll try some real thin stuff to see how I like it.... I'll bet it works great though..that thickness is whats killing me!

Thanks,

Ernie
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 pm

mike, that is about how thick mine are as well...... just run the strip through the performax to the desired thickness and do one last pass on the top side with 220grit to minimize hand sanding work..... it works great!
Gino Bruno

Postby jwillis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Very cool. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 am

Hmmm...where am I here....
Hornseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs