Skip to content

Recurve Build Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Recurve Build Along

Postby OH Longbow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Here are the last pictures. It has a couple of coats of Minn Wax Polyurethane sprayed on right now. I might put a couple of more coats on it. Now, all I have left to do is twist a flemish string for it and put some carpet on the arrow shelf. I might do that tomorrow night.

Lessons learned:

-Recurves are more involved than longbows.
-Make sure you have someody around when you glue it up.
-Dymondwood is really tough to work!!!
-Posting the build on the internet is just as involved, of not moreso than building the bow.

Thanks for following the build.

John
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!!
MOUNTER

Postby PAarcher » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Nice! That's sharp!
PAarcher

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:02 am

But it turned out really lookin good. Like those tips.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Sulphur » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:42 am

great job, i've been looking for those final pics. Looks really good. the next one will go easier. I agree build alongs can be time consuming, thanks for taking the time. Others that come afterwards will thank you too!!
Sulphur

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 am

That does look sharp! Thanks for taking he time....build-alongs are one of my favorite parts of this board.

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby angelstaff » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

John. Thanks for showing the construction. beautiful I really like the bow has a very noble appearance, congratulations
Angel
angelstaff

Postby Jumper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:22 pm

That is a very good looking bow!
With God, all things are possible.
Jumper

Postby OH Longbow » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the quality information and tips you have provided and the nice comments. I truly appreciate it. I was really reluctant to do the build along. The nice comments and encouragement kept me going. For a while, I thought I might have bit off a little more than I could chew. I was serious when I was saying that documenting the build was as much work as building it. I would do a step, clean up the mess a little, break out the camera, flashes, umbrellas and light stands, then take the picture...then tear everything down and repeat. I have to keep the photography gear in top shape because I shoot senior pictures and weddings and I had to shoot two of each while doing this. Then you have to resize the images, upload them and make all the comments. It was fun but, I now have a new found respect for all the builders who do regular build-alongs. You guys rock...Keep 'em coming!

BK, I agree, the build alongs are one of my favorite part about these boards. I really pick up good information.

Give me a few months to get some deer hunting in and I think I'll do another build along. I have a hybrid form I designed that I'm itching to build a bow on.

L8R,

John

BTW, the bow came out 56# at 29"...and silky smooth to draw and shoot. I might do a FD curve, just to see how it looks. It has some minor scratches that I didn't notice. The poly really shows off the few blems. I might re-sand it someday...maybe not...I want to HUNT!
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 pm

OH Longbow wrote: I was serious when I was saying that documenting the build was as much work as building it. I would do a step, clean up the mess a little, break out the camera, flashes, umbrellas and light stands, then take the picture...then tear everything down and repeat.

OK......I see photography is your job/passion....but......for build-alongs an old point & shoot covered in dust & glue in your pocket is plenty good :) :) :)
Besides, you can always use the highlight shadows filter in Photoshop to fill in the flash ;)

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs