Skip to content

Kids Longbow Build-Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Kids Longbow Build-Along

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm

I'll photo-doc this little kids bow build..
I could have started earlier, sorry. The lams are already cut and ground and I laminated a very simple riser up. I finished the kids form yesterday... I'll get this thing on the form later today...

The riser clamped and going into the oven...It walnut with a stripe of amarillo running back to belly...

The glass and lams laid out, ready for smooth-on. I am using a purple heart back lam, then some action boo, then riser with tapered African Mohog on the belly... Never used the form before so I had to kinda guess at all the thicknesses... Plus, the layup is sorta informal..not at all as I would lay up a performance bow, but it will be just fine for the 5 year old kid its going to! (if I hit near weight!)

Its a 48" long bow in the end... hopefully about 15# at 18-20 inches...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Kids Longbow Build-Along

Postby Hornseeker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:14 pm

I love to tape my lams down to my form...as well as strips and such to hold it all in place nicely.. Well...I sprayed this new form with the dry coat silicone stuff...and guess what... TAPE DONT STICK!! BLASTED! :D I can get around it by taping Around the form, then taping to the tape...
Hornseeker

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:20 pm

doing anything yet ernie?
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 am

I organize the pics today and get them up soon.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:47 pm

OK, I"ve been going like crazy... back finally. I've actually built 4 of these little dudes since I started this thread. They are quick and easy and I cant wait to get them into some kids hands! I'm doing a little bit more "special" one for one of my best buddies 5 year olds right now. Clear glass with a nice riser and such...

Anyhow, here's some more pics...Smooth ON.. GOOD CHIT!

Here's it all laid out for glue up... I spread the epoxy on with a 1 inch putty knife, then wrap the whole mess in clear platic before taping it down to the form.
In the Form
Pumped UP!
Full Heat
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm

She comes out of the form pretty rough, with epoxy hardened all over the sides and the clear platic all stuck down to the bow... Thats when I take it to the Big Dog and let him Eat! (my 80" Belt Sander with 36 Grit Belt)
Looks like this...
Working on it...

Once its cleaned up and flat along one edge, I put some fresh masking tape along the back and draw a straight line from Tip to Tip...

Then I measure the width at the fades and tips and mark the, and draw the limb taper on the back...
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:55 pm

shweet!!!!!!!!!!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:21 pm

That is just SOOOO.. COOOLLL ..to watch!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bill Howland » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey, Ernie, If you want 15# bow weight shouldn't the psi gauge read 15 not 67#'s? Heck you're gonna end up with a 67# pound bow!!! :o

Looks like fun!!! I need to do a kids bow!
"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry." Wild Bill Hickok February, 1867
Bill Howland

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 pm

bill, did ya ever finish that one for your nephew that i glued up for ya?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs