Skip to content

Recurve Build Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Recurve Build Along

Postby Khaled » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:43 pm

OH Longbow
as I sade they are as good as this one
I liked the recurve more sory for the crack it must been painfull :(
thanks for the photos.
Khaled

Postby OH Longbow » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Khaled wrote:OH Longbow
as I sade they are as good as this one
I liked the recurve more sory for the crack it must been painfull :(
thanks for the photos.

I was sick over it. Partly because I had lost the use of my favorite bow but, mostly because this was due to my own behavior. I never should have messed with it. Even if it didn't slip, I still think it would have been too thin to hold the weight.

Thanks for following my build and the words of encouragement. Hopefully, next weekend I'll be putting the finishing touches on. I have to get my game on because bow season started today.

John
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby PAarcher » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:48 am

Wow is that turning out nice!!
You know, in the spirit of brotherhood, if you would rather not go through all the trouble of dropping more weight you could just send it to me.
PAarcher

Postby OH Longbow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:50 pm

PAarcher wrote:Wow is that turning out nice!!
You know, in the spirit of brotherhood, if you would rather not go through all the trouble of dropping more weight you could just send it to me.

Heck, I don't even know if it will be worth shooting. From the looks of your avatar, you also bowfish. I was hoping to get something in the 40-45 lb. class for bowfishing. On those days, when your shooting a bunch, it would be nice to not have to pull 60-70 lbs on every shot. Right now, I have my bowfishing reel on an old Browning/Bass Pro Shop Probow. I think it is turned down to around 50 lbs. It's OK but, heavy to hold all day.
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby OH Longbow » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:45 pm

OK guys, this is just a small update. I have had a cold kickin' my tail for the last week. My daughter passed it to my wife who, so graciously, passed it along to me. Today, I finally got to do some more work. I just did a little final shaping. The work had already been done prior to taking the pictures. I'm just showing you some of the tools I used.

Here is one of the many "shaped" sanders I use. Its just a piece of PVC pipe with sand paper wrapped around it. I have assorted sizes of the pipe. It works very well for the contours.

Here, I'm using one of my favorites. Its a piece of oak that is about 3/4" square and about 6" in length. It had sharp edges so, I wrapped it in painters tape. The sand paper last longer this way. I am using 60 grit here. I will move on to 100 then 600. In the background, you can see my other shaping tools, including files and a rasp.

Here, I'm working on the fades of the pieces I put on the belly side of the riser.

Here's a good shot of the arrow shelf. I just about drove myself crazy trying to work this down. The Dymondwood dulled the burr in my rotary tool. I tried the rasp but, it was worthless. The square oak with sandpaper (my favorite) would plug with the dust and become unusable. The file kept plugging with the dust. I used a brush to clean it but there was do much material to remove.

The way I finally got it done was to use a coping saw to cut a series of cuts along the radius. I then turned the blade 90 degrees and cut down, along the plane of the site window to free the pieces. Then, I used the file (frequently cleaning with a wire brush) to round it over and finished it off with the square piece of oak, wrapped in sandpaper. Here are some pictures after the fact.

Today was really a day for Keith to continue working on his bow. We busted butt and was able to get his into the oven. Here he is sanding some small imperfections on his riser.

Hopefully I will be posting the finished pics soon.

John
OH Longbow

Postby Khaled » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 am

I wasn't sur how it going to look like after you glued the phonalic on the belly side :roll:
now I can see how it look that is nice bow to look at have you shot it yet? :D
Khaled

Postby OH Longbow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Khaled wrote:I wasn't sur how it going to look like after you glued the phonalic on the belly side :roll:
now I can see how it look that is nice bow to look at have you shot it yet? :D

Noooooooooooooo...not me...I would never shoot a bow before it's done...no sir...nada...nyet...

Heck yes I shot it! I've shot it about 50 times. I love it! Shoots faster than my longbows but a little louder. Absolutely no handshock. Last Saturday, as I was messing around with it, three deer came into my backyard. The gremlins about got the best of me. I just about shot at them. There was still tape on the limbs! But, I had shot 20 or so arrows through it and was confident of my ability with it. At 10 yards, in my basement, I have consistently hit my first arrow with my second. Every 3-4 arrows, I'll have a flyer that is 2"-3" away from the main grouping but, I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't done the final tillering yet.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

John
OH Longbow

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 am

Lookin good, Very nice work!!
MOUNTER

Postby Jumper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:46 pm

That is looking great!
With God, all things are possible.
Jumper

Postby OH Longbow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Well, it's finally finished. Here are some pictures. The pictures are not that great. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow.

The tips came out nice.

I love the differing colors of the Dymondwood on the contours.

OH Longbow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs