Skip to content

couple of 12lb rocks

This is a place to discuss tornaments you've won, Animals you've taken with a bow, pictures of your robin-hoods etc....

couple of 12lb rocks

Postby whump » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:34 am

Whump sez; caught a couple of grill fish last week from shore fishing a tailrace on the Tennessee river . Having to make 100yd casts with surf tackle to get a lure to the fish. I have been disappointed in the spring runs on the tenn. for the last 3 years and this year is not looking too good either.
Attachments
rock fish.jpg
rock fish.jpg (52.98 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: couple of 12lb rocks

Postby Yohon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 am

ahhhhhhhh.....good eat's there whump!!!! 8-)

Your not alone....rock runs around here pale in comparison to what it used to be too.....
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby topcamp » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:21 am

back in the mid to late seventies...............my best bud and i would take my 20 mako accross the tangier sound to the mid-chesapeake stretch of islands on the north side of smith island........holland's ......south marsh.......lots of small islands with tidal guts.........always the guts had a deep lead running from side to side.............on a flood tide i would run my 20 mako hard over the shallow mouths of these leads and go way up in side on favorite guts...........10 lb test with a 20 lb small diameter leader...........small light rods.................no more than a couple oz on a fish finder rig with half a small soft crab on the hook....................and they would be there. :o omg........would they ever............8 to 10 lb rock in a gut that for the most part the mako would bridge accross.

to say that it was as good as it can ever get is what yesterday on the chesapeake used to be...................we didn't sell them......we fished for only what we wanted to take back home and then we would find two leads and turn the boat around to run the mouth before the ebb stranded us for the night..................once outside if the wind allowed............we would run to hollands island bar and fish the moon for specs and once in awhile hook a drum..................

the chesapeake as it used to be................. that was what rock fishing was all about..............light tackle......soft crabs...........and bay full of the greatest fish in the world on a hook and line.

always had a supply of soft crab sandwhiches packed for the trip.........along with a great madura cuban and beer of choice in the cooler.........plus that 20 mako was a hell of a boat.....back when mako's where real boats...............sometimes........memories of yesterday can be sad............. ;) :lol: :lol:
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:57 am

We call those stripers here in Florida. I used to fish for them at night at Rodman dam spillway..we used Zara spook top water plugs but the best bait was live eel's...small croakers and small domestic shiners worked too. There is a man made hybrid called the Sunshine bass that are pretty sporty, they are a cross of stripers and white bass. They have broken stripes and I use grass shrimp to catch them, but a 1/8 ounce rattle trap works too. Hope the fishing picks up and y'all get a few more.
Robertfishes

Postby whump » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:08 am

Whump sez; well I returned today and caught 2 more 11,s and a 9 , but it was like cutting wood catching the fish, a lot of casting and not much biting and one break off , probably from a scuffed leader. [Complementary feet and stomach in pic ]

Any way for you fellows that fished for the salts in salt water I have a question?? Here, any kind of bright sunshine will stop a bite on these fish. Overcast days , early before the sun hits the water or late after it gets off the water and you may have a 1hr or less feeding period then it is over. I have never fished for the fish in the surf on in tidal ditches so I was wondering if the fish act the same?
I have caught them in still backwater on live bait, big perch, shiners, or redhorse suckers and they will bite in the light but at depths over 20ft where the light penetration is minimal.
Attachments
rock fish 001.jpg
rock fish 001.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Yohon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:31 am

Cant say that the bright light effects much for me. I've caught some big ones schooling on top in high noon bright light. For me most of the bite times are based on the tide movement around here. Course good tide movement at low light condition would be prime.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby topcamp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am

as yohon said.........it was always fishing the tide for me also. the chesapeake water's for the most part run a rich mixture of green......brown..........soup of marsh and mother head waters from the sussquehanna.......never the clear ocean green you get in the gulf or down tide water area.........at least on the tangier side. in the tidal guts you would be able to see a plug maybe a foot below the surface from spring through fall. the leads you would be fishing would be anywheres from 3 to 6 ft deep. i pretty much fished from mid afternoon on though.................even if i camped over night on one of the islands............i would for the most part only fish the tidal flats for specs or yellow fin in the morning. i would fish the rock piles off the lights morning or midday though..........and the water was always clearer around these breakwaters..........the fish weren't there always.......but when they where.............they had an un ending need for softcrabs. they would usually hang off one or more of the light house deep legs between the big rock piles. it was always a hunt.............we never threw our lines and just waited...............a couple cast and no hits............we moved to find the fish. most of the time i fished waters so shallow that the depth/fish finder on board was pretty much useless except for showing you the small leads you knew where there. now in the fall............when the rock start schooling and working the bait fish.........you sailed watching the birds and when you found working birds............you would find fish on top.....even at high noon. you matched the bait fish with your lure of choice and it was a blast.......
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby whump » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

Good to talk with you fellows about the rockfish . I fish in the gulf some for kings blues and spanish and i hooked up to a couple of sails 2 years ago from the pier in Panama City but all I experienced was a few spectacular jumps and I spent the next 10 minutes holding on until the line ran out. A bg60 doesn't hold enough string for a sailfish from a fixed position.

Anyway--- hooked up to a 35" 25 pounder yesterday and that was a good fight from shore with 2 turbines running in the tailrace.We caught several smaller fish in the 5-8lb range .
Attachments
rock fish 002.jpg
rock fish 002.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
whump

Return to Board index

Return to Pirate Booty Call