Skip to content

5pt second day of season

This is a place to discuss tornaments you've won, Animals you've taken with a bow, pictures of your robin-hoods etc....

Re: 5pt second day of season

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Great shot, that tree shark really lets the air out of them.
Dan

Postby whump » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Whump Sez; thanks everybody, and yes Ray Charles could have tracked that one-----a quite horrid and lovely blood trail. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby wood » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm

You may want to post that on LW. The ethics police haven't seen much action over there since someone posted about taking a doe at 38yds on a windy day.
wood

Postby whump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Whump Sez; I had a 2 hr discussion over there about Q2 and frontal shots one night. I have about 15 pics of bucks I killed shooting q2 and frontal shots so I started an argument with a guy that had never shot a frontal or q2 shot but he knew everything there was to know about them. He was adamant that it was not ethical and had about as much ridiculous banter as you can imagine. The more pictures I posted of deer I killed shooting frontal and q2 shots the madder he became. The only argument he had was what he heard. And the goofiest remark was--if you keep shooting frontal and q2 shots , you will eventually lose one. yep that's what he said. I still stand by the argument I presented that night----more deer are lost shooting broadside shots than any other shot angle. When I asked him how many he had lost shooting broadside shots he was evasive---imagine that, being evasive with the Whumpster. I did post it over there on the thread " What is the most unusual thing anyone has told you about trad hunting," or something like that. I don't mind people calling me down if they have the facts to support their argument , but he said , I heard or I read, is not a valid argument if I have dead deer to prove otherwise. Hunt safe
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby wood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 am

I remember the thread and followed the whole thing. It astounds me how people can assign everyone a code of ethics based on their own limitations. Great shot and good luck for the rest of the season.
wood

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 am

Jim Sez: CONGRATULATIONS Whump! :)

It's all about knowing where the good stuff and bad stuff is, and putting a broadhead in the good stuff. ;)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby topcamp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 am

love the simmons broadheads................jerry simmons knew something about broadheads when he designed that broadhead line.................they simply unzip what ever you put them in...................with that being said........i put a safari into the dirt broadside thorax on a doe last year.......with my modified bleeders on the broadhead...............the shaft and fletching was covered from head to nock when i picked it up............i never......never.....found a drop of blood on that critter..........and even when i went back to the house and picked up my tracking bc...........she never found a single drop of blood.......even when we sectioned off the whole damn plot of woods and brush...........no birds ..........no bones................

i have no clue........[what i think happened was that i was under the back bone enough to miss the big blood line .....and micro measurment above the lungs.....totally possible according to my good vet friend ]........then or now. and i can only think of two animals i've ever lost with a simmons head......this was number two................so yeah........shit happens if you're in the game long enough, but some of my quickest kills have been frontal or q2's...........really doesn't make much difference what the angle is.....if you reach the thorax with some degree of penetration. really.......if i have a good shot and angle to reach the thorax............i'm really not interested to much in which way the animal is facing.........
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby whump » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Whump Sez; I agree with you fellows , and Simmons had some help with the heads. A tool and die maker named Clarence yates hunted with Jerry for 30yrs or so and they put their heads together on the design. I got to see some of the first heads come off the bench in the basement of Dewberrys engraving company located in Hoover Al. Clarence made the dies, jigs and automatic sharpening system for the heads and at that time they only made the interscepter [ screw in only ] it was a soild head weighing 200gns with the bleeder installed. They gave Howard Hill credit for the sweeping design that they amplified somewhat, and they stayed with the basic 3 to 1 ratio. In the early 70,s hardly anyone wanted to shoot a 200gn head so they had problems selling them. Both of those fellows are straight up guys, if they told you a bed bug could pull the L&N railroad you could make a harness for it, they are pushing 80yrs old these days. Here ya go Topcamp-- The pic is a frontal neck shot. I was younger and could shoot better back in 1975, a do or die shot on a doe reaching up to eat huckleberries just before a rain. Nobody told me back then you couldn't killem shooting frontal or Q2 so I had no idea it could not be done[grin] Thanks for the replies everyone and -----Hunt safe.
Attachments
poa neck shot.jpg
poa neck shot.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
whump

Postby bigugly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 am

Nice deer and hey if the shot feels right, take it.
Take a kid hunting
bigugly

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Pirate Booty Call