Skip to content

bigugly and sons

This is a place to discuss tornaments you've won, Animals you've taken with a bow, pictures of your robin-hoods etc....

bigugly and sons

Postby bigugly » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 am

My sons and myslef have all got into trad archery big time this year, well the boys have only shot recurves but I made the switch from wheels this year. We have shot tournament in the past and the boys have always done well placing top 5 in every one where I was always middle of the pack. This year we signed up for a series called the Seaway Challange in Ontario and also shot a few other one day events. Well my oldest came first in every shoot he attended but at most he was only 13 year old shooting trad which is kinda sad. He also shoots the same distance as any of us would which I also thought was a little odd but he thought it was great. He had a high score of the year at 226 on a 40 target coarse. My youngest is grouped in with 12 and under and no trad catagory but he still places top 5 and won two shoots. Myself I had a great year. I plced top three in every tournament I entered and won two and came second overall in the Seaway the top shooter was a good friend and my mentor. My top score of the season was 326 but my average is about 270. I have to say I see some scores guys put up on other forums and it makes me think I either suck or the keyboard has an additional problem...lol The seaway challange the average shot came out close to 25 yards as stakes are typically placed by compound shooters and they just go by rules which in Seaway is 15-30 yard shots, believe me there are very few 15y :D I hope all the practise results in a different booty call, that being a nice fat doe or a decent buck.
Take a kid hunting
bigugly

Re: bigugly and sons

Postby Bender » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

I can tell you right now bigugly, unless we're talking about IBO or NFAA sanctioned events like field tournaments, don't even trip about the numbers you see anywhere. Scoring is totally different everywhere you. About the only thing one could do would be to look at percentages of how many points are being taken of all points possibly available.
Bender

Postby bigugly » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh I 'm not ripping the field targte tournaments and I understand scoring is different in other disiplines but when I see "I did a 30 target 3D coarse and scored a 280" it's makes me wonder, can it be done, sure can but the ammount of shooters I've heard say it you would think everyone on forums was a nationl level shooter. I'll just shut up now.
Take a kid hunting
bigugly

Postby Bender » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Perhaps you took me wrong? I'm just saying that a NFAA field round is scored the same no matter where you are, but when it comes to 3D, there's just no telling. That's why I like to consider percentages. You can score 11, 10, 8. Or 12, 11, 10, 8 or 10, 5, or 8, 5, or 5, 3, or....... whatever. I shoot 'em all, but my favorite competition is 3D, no matter how they want to score it that day.
Bender

Postby bigugly » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:35 am

Ive only ever shot 3D as that is all my club has to offer. I love it though, one thing we do once in awhile instead of keeping normal score is 1 point for vitals, -1 for hitting outside of vitals and a 0 if you miss. Yardage always varies, it's an eye opener when you score this way. And yes I may have taken you the wrong way but it's all good stuff tends to bounce off me, plus I don't like to pad my scores cause you never know when you will meet anyone and I'd hate to have to shoot as good as a wrong score says.
Take a kid hunting
bigugly

Return to Board index

Return to Pirate Booty Call