Skip to content

Congrats Chris at IBO trad worlds!!!

This is a place to discuss tornaments you've won, Animals you've taken with a bow, pictures of your robin-hoods etc....

Congrats Chris at IBO trad worlds!!!

Postby Kenro » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 am

Just wanted to give a huge congradulations to a one of our own here. We know him here as Str8shooter (Chris Schwandt). He recently called me to let me know that he won the "modern long bow" class at the IBO trad worlds in TN. :D
I was stoked for him as this is one of the biggest contests the sport of 3D competition has to offer. Id rather have him chime in and give the details. Was a pretty exciting finish for him coming from behind and winning by ONE POINT! :)
http://www.ibo.net/results.php?e=150&c=102
If anyone else had attended and has any pictures, details or results from the event please post them!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Re: Congrats Chris at IBO trad worlds!!!

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 am

Nice job Chris!!!!!!!
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 am

Awesome, COngrats !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Bender » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 am

Congratulations Chris!
Bender

Postby Yohon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 am

Hot Damn, way to go Chris!!! Did you win shootin the bow Kenro built for you?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby rwsbow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 am

Congratulations and a tough job well done !!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby str8shooter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks guys!

My wife and kids made the trip down to TN with me this year so the whole trip was pretty awesome. We took my kids to Dinosaur World in Cave City, KY and they were so excited about it they didn't even realize we were going to a shoot afterwards.

Saturday was a very busy day for me. My wife dropped me off in the morning than took the kids to Nashville for the day. I shot the full 40 targets for the IBO qualifier with a pair of really great guys. I shot fairly well but had a few dumb shots. The terrain at Twin Oaks is a much different from what I'm used to in Wisconsin. Most every shot is either uphill, downhill or sidehill. The targets were set at pretty reasonable distances. There were a few closer shots but I'd say the majority of the medium sized targets (deer, bear, etc) were in the 18-27 yard range. Alot of folks thought the course this year was a bit more difficult than last year and stretched out a little more.

So, after the 40 targets I was sitting in 3rd place going into the final round. The leader, Tal McNeil, was ahead of me by 12 points and Dave Ledford was sitting in second ahead by 4. I figured if I kept my nerves under control and and someone made a mistake I could make up some points. On the first target there were some 5's and I saw the door open and went for it. I shot really well all the way up to target 15 where I made a poor hit on a bedded deer target that was downhill about 23-25 yards. After that target I figured I had 5 to go and if I executed good shots (and hit 10 or 11's) I'd be fine. I managed to hit 4 tens and a solid 8 on the last target. I had a lot of fun shooting the final round. The group of guys I shot with were like shooting with hunting buddies. Great camaraderie, everyone congratulated good shots and we all enjoyed the course together.

When the final scores were figured I had picked up 15 points on the leader, Tal, and 5 on Dave which put me in the lead by one! I had to double check the scores a few times cuz' I couldn't believe it. It was a great feeling to come out on top when the pressure was up.

The drive back was leisurely. We stayed in Louisville for the night, swam with the kids in the morning, toured Churchill Downs (home of the Kentucky Derby), went to the waterfront on the Ohio River than drove the rest of the way home. Monday was my middle son Logan's fifth birthday so we also stopped for dinner at his choice (cracker barrel).

It was a great trip to Twin Oaks that was even better with my family along.
str8shooter

Postby str8shooter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 pm

About 5-6 weeks before this shoot I decided to shoot my Whippenstick longbow. I was stringwalking my ILF rig since winter but my heart just wasn't in it. I hadn't shot the longbows much this year because of my hand getting injured in the fall but it had healed enough to finally shoot without discomfort. I took out the longbow next to the Spig and shot 'em side by side and haven't shot the Spig since. My Whippenstick's are so quiet and smooth and quick and just so much more enjoyable to shoot.

I'm working on getting some pics up. We got a new computer and the image software isn't working right with the camera.
str8shooter

Postby Yohon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Thats so cool Chris, congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby str8shooter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's the bow and the buckle. This is from my phone, still working on some pics from the camera. I'll have my wife work on it and hopefully will get up some after work.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (148.67 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
str8shooter

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Pirate Booty Call