Skip to content

Gator Cup 2011

This is a place to discuss tornaments you've won, Animals you've taken with a bow, pictures of your robin-hoods etc....

Gator Cup 2011

Postby cylithera » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I shot the Easton-Newberry Gator Cup this past weekend and finished with a 762/1440. Yeah, I placed dead-last in the women's recurve division, but I also went in with a longbow and Carbon Express Predator II (700 spine) with 3" feathers while everyone else in my division had Olympic recurves. There wasn't a bare-bow division of any sort so I figured I'd just compete with the gadget folks anyway just for self-amusement. I shot two personal bests: 183/360 at 70 meters and 211/360 at 60 meters. My 50 and 30 weren't so good but they were also on the 6-ring 80 cm targets (ie, not the full 80 cm target face) and I had a bit of trouble with group placement even if my precision was reasonably good when I wasn't gap-chasing.

Here's my best round at 70 meters during the FITA qualification match:

Here's my best round at 70 meters during the Olympic-style elimination match:

Just couldn't help but brag a bit about surviving a full-blown FITA round and inspiring a bit of fear and being an object of curiosity at a shoot that's supposed to be for Olympic recurves and compounds with 1001 gadgets on it. I did out-shoot two male recurve shooters though :D

It was just an incredibly fun event where I got to challenge myself, meet some awesome people, and remind folks that a longbow can still be a truly deadly weapon. As if that wasn't enough of a shock to some people, I also let folks know that my longbow is a home-made one by my sweetie, Robertfishes. I think the only things that would've added to the shock value would've been a self-bow with self-nocked arrows, but I stayed with carbon arrows because as much as I love and respect the Olympic recurve shooters, I have more peace of mind if I shoot something they know how to pull out if I make a high shot.

cylithera

Re: Gator Cup 2011

Postby rwsbow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 pm

AWESOME !!...You have every right to do some bragging...even with your self-imposed limits of equipment, those are great groups at those distances...Congratulations !!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bender » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Well done! To my thinking the real accomplishment was in overcoming the fear, butterflies, etc. and just stepping up to the line and shooting.
Bender

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Wow! Pretty Exciting.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby cylithera » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks! The other big accomplishment for me was maintaining a sense of humor through the entire shoot and not letting a rough end (or two or three) get to me. Keeping my shots strong the entire shoot was a huge bonus too -- I usually notice my form getting sloppy about halfway in but I could tell that except for maybe 4-5 shots out of 144 where I was too focused on gap-chasing, my form held up really well. I felt a little self-conscious at first as the "little nobody with a longbow" but I figured the worst thing that was going to happen was that the shoot officials would ask me to help repair any damage I might cause to the target butt frames or anything else I might inadvertently damage :D

-Helen
cylithera

Return to Board index

Return to Pirate Booty Call