Skip to content

limb shape/dimensions

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

limb shape/dimensions

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:57 pm

The next bow i make is gonna be a 66" R/D bow. i want it to have straight tapered limbs rather than a parabolic limb. what should i go with for width at the fades and at the tips? the straight bow i made was 1 3/8" at the fades but i dont remember what the tips were. Should i use the same dimensions as i did on that one?
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: limb shape/dimensions

Postby 4nolz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Io full width 1 1/2" to mid limb with a straight taper to 1/2" at the tips.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:28 pm

TJ when you get ready to build it let me know...... i'll hook you up with a formula that will burn the feathers off an arrow.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:42 am

I should be ordering the materials tommorow after i get my paycheck. So whats the deal Gino? :D

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am

what is your draw length? do you already have a form built or are you going to build one? what tapers are you thinking of using?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm

oops guess i shoulda let you know that this is dad's christmas present :D . He's really gotten out of bow hunting lately and i wanna get him back into by making him a bow.

anyways, his draw is between 31-32" for a compound so 29-30"? I havent decided on the design yet so i dont have the form built. The tapers and such are part of where i need help, i dont know how thick of a stack i need and i dont know which individual pieces of wood i need (thicknesses of the tapers and paralells). or were you talking about the material? He decided on Cocobolo limbs and bamboo or actionboo cores. should i go with the natural boo? He wants it to be 50#@28"

what about limb design/bend? do you have something i could get a good shape off? old drawings or anything?

Thanks.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hank » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:35 pm

TJ -- here are some pics of a basic R/D longbow. It is patterned off the old Longhunter that won alot of national and world titles. As I mentioned before, Quillian sold the company then had a guy in AL build this cheaper model for him that he sold on his ebay store. Walnut riser, 2 parallel oak lams and clear glass. Makes a solid decent bow.

a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 am

I think those curves look good...
Nolz...why keep it full width to mid limb before starting the taper? Just curious...

Most my bows go from about 1 5/16 to about 7/16 at the nocks... straight taper. I think using the Bingham Kit will be the safest bet since you want this bow to come out at your dads specs and you dont really have a recipe for a D/R yet...

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm

that bow looks good. im gonna use the binghams stuff but i DONT like their templates for drawing the limb on.theres no centerpoint at all, they dont look symetrical. so im just gonna make my own template for drawing on the limb.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hank » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:01 pm

The semi Hill I made had just reflex, no deflex and once I got it out of the mold and the edges cleaned up, I simply clamped a chalk line at each end at what looked like the basic visual center of the bow and snapped the line. Then I laid the bow out off of that center line. We did 2 that way off the form and they both came out perfect.

I will get another bow down later of the same make and show you an interesting limb layout. When I first contacted this bowyer by seeing his bows in an Archery shop in town, I asked if he could cut the bow past center. He said he would cut it to center and then flop the limbs to the left so it acted like it was cut past. Weird but the bow shoots fine :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery