Skip to content

Lam Grinding Setups

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Lam Grinding Setups

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:14 pm

how does everyone grind their lams? belt sander setup? dril press/ sanding drum? thickness planer?

tapers and parallels.

i want to get the tools or figure out how to use my tools now to grind lams. i think id like to do some splices in the future and i would like to use some woods for lams that binghams doesnt have.

oh yeah, pics too please. :D

thanks
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Lam Grinding Setups

Postby PAarcher » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Where's Gino?
PAarcher

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:01 am

TJ,

i use a performax drum sander and lam sleds made from dymondwood....... the sanders are spendy but will quickly pay for themselves if you plan on building a bunch of bows 9plus you can use it for a ton of other projects if you are into woodworking). there are a bunch of build alongs to do make your own sander but to be honest, i think you would be waisting your time if you plan on building more recurves because i don't think you can get an really accurate grind...... for longbows, it would be fine but a few thousands of materal on one side of the lam can cause a bunch of limb twist that may be really difficult to remove......... i'd say just buy your lams for now and get a drum sander when you can afford one....... after hunting season is over (end of december), let me know what you need, i'd be happy to grind a bunch for ya......... i have parallel, .001, .002 and veneer sleds......... find some lumber you want for cores and veneers and just send it to me....... i'll grind whatever you want.

gino
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 am

When Ernie comes back around, talk to him. You can pay him to grind lams.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:41 pm

FD- he doesn't have to pay for it, he can just send me the lumber of his choice and i'll cut and grind it for free.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 am

Awesome! TJ, take him up on that!
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:36 am

yeah, thanks a lot gino!! im prolly jumping the gun for now, but i spose once your hunting season is over ill prolly have enough money saved for another bow. so the next one ill make for me.

plus i gotta make a back up bow cause theres a good chance im going on a moose hunt in AK in august or something next year. :D 8-)
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery