Skip to content

Pre-gluing wedges and power lams

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Pre-gluing wedges and power lams

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey guys, I havent posted here in a good while because work has taken me away from doing many projects. I have had some time to work on leather and Kydex, but not enough time to get involved in a detailed bow build. This may sound like a dumb question but here it goes.

Are there any good reasons why you should not pre-glue your wedges and power laminations prior to your lay up? Also same question about tip wedges. Does re-heating those joints make a difference in a layup? I guess the real thing is, how many do it on a regular basis with good success, versus how many people would say Lord no don't try it, it is A failure waiting to happen? I would think that it will be no different than using action wood lams. Because you're reheating glue that has already cured once.
Last edited by arrowlauncherdj on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
arrowlauncherdj

Re: Pre-gluing wedges and power lams

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:29 pm

Well, if you laid them up and cured at room temp I don't see an issue with the heat messing them up. But the one downside I can see is the potential for your lams to slip and slide a little in the form and change your wedge locations beause of it. Although, thats always a concern so its prolly no big deal really. I say go for it and just clean up any glue ooze out and such before you lay up the bow.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Pre-gluing wedges and power lams

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 am

I guess i gottta ask, Why are you doing this or proposing to do this? I see no advantage myself...
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery