Skip to content

Short curve

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: Short curve

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 am

Okay here's a question, since I've built pretty much exclusively longbows, what kind of width profile do you guys use? I haven't seen many curve limbs that have a straight side taper, so how do you draw out that parabolic side profile?
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 pm

TJ, my fastest recurves were of a straight taper and my very fastest were reverse parabolic (not sure what that would be) out at the last 10". i really like a 1.5" limb width... the added thickness of the limb makes for a more torsionally stable limb.... though a really short bow may need a wider thinner limb to stand up to being flexed so hard.

if you really don't care about chasing speed or any of that stuff, just draw out half of the shape that you are happy with down a centerline and cut it out. then trace that parabolic side that you like out onto our pattern material, then flip it over so that the limb centerline is directly on the centerline of the drawing that you just made and scribe it and cut out your pattern. that way your template/pattern is identical on both the right and left side of the limb.

my templates are made of plexiglass. i just use a half limb template when scribing a limb blank fresh out of a form, then flip it over and do the exact same thing that i described above.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Oh, well in that case ill just go with a straight taper. Much easier to lay out and shape. I think you're right though, a little wider limb is probably required for a shorty.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Chemsolder » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 am

Sitting right next to my first recurve, It is a 52" ish my take on a kodiak Magnum. I went with parallel tapers and wound up with it static, had to shorten the hooks down to what a standard kmag would be wanted to leave em a little long didn't work. It was sluggish with the long hooks and does well now, still need to tweak a few things but it is real close to where I want the limbs. 1.6" width, parallel till the last 9", maybe 8 now since I shortened it a bit. Quiet with small yarn silencers, not too bad without any, quiter than my kodiak hunter when neither have silencers, think that has to do with the static nature of it.

This bow makes me think from a noise perspective statics are the way to go, speed...no idea what the + - of it is.

Here is a pic before shortening the hooks. Yeah It was summer and I still haven't finished it...lol add, gotta get it done!
Attachments
IMG_20150824_53108.jpg
IMG_20150824_53108.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Chemsolder

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 pm

That looks real good, I like it. I'm thinking I'll start with a .001" taper because my hooks are tight and itll push the bend out towards the outer third. If they open up a lot I might add a belly overlay...

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery