Skip to content

kids bows need help

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

kids bows need help

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 am

Hey guys, I am wanting to make a couple kids bows for a family with 8 and 12 yo girls. Can anyone help me out with a formula for a longbow 60'' long or so... or whatever length recommended. and a wood stack to use with .040 glass? Also what width? 1, 1.25 or 1.5'' wide?

thanks in advance,

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Re: kids bows need help

Postby DIY_guy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 am

I wonder if a 60" bow could be used by an 8 year old girl without the bottom limb tip being very close to the ground (unless she is tall for her age.) What draw weight are you going for for an 8 year old? If you used one maple taper and glass front and back at 1.25 wide, I would think that would make about as light a bow as one could make.
The joy is in the planing and doing.
DIY_guy

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 am

I was thinking if I could make a bow that could grow with her a bit as in when she grows and draws more length shed get the weight as well. Like 25lb max poundage at its max draw. Thats what I really dont know and need help with. whats recommended and how to get there.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Steve Graf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 pm

You might want to try a PVC bow. They are easy / cheap / fun to make and work well. Check out this website for inspiration: http://backyardbowyer.blogspot.com

I've made a few and the kids love them.
Steve Graf

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery