Skip to content

steam vs soaking and other bend questions

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

steam vs soaking and other bend questions

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:19 am

So ive never steam bent anything, and im finally getting around to a project ive wanted to do for a really long time. I need to bend strips, 3/4" wide, not more than .100" thick and most likely thinner, into a rough circle/oval about 20" diameter. Do I have to steam, or will soaking be sufficient?

Im wondering if I might be able to do dry bends if I go down to like .050"?

Also what's the tightest radius you guys have taken glass? Im thinking of some of the statics I've seen and they're pretty tight.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: steam vs soaking and other bend questions

Postby bearauto11 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 pm

I use a piece of ABS pipe and an electric Tea pot (my wife says it is a hot pot) to steam wood.
Put the wood in the pipe, stand it vertical, put a rag over the top, and put the pot under the pipe so the pipe fills with steam.
You may need to put a screw through the bottom of the pipe for the wood to rest on.
I made a couple of fishing nets with this method. Works pretty good.
Never tried soaking, so I can't say anything about that. But, the steaming works pretty good.
What is the project?
Good luck.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 am

In 1994 I steamed the ends of a Mulberry self bow once. I first built a form for the recurve shape I wanted, I cut a thin metal strip to put on belly(outside of curve) to help prevent splinter lifting. I used a big pot of boiling water, held bow end over water with foil over bow..it took at least 20 minutes each side..after wood was hot and plyable I put it in the form and made my bend..after cooling, I fired water back up and did other side. This bow was one piece and thick, thinner pieces should be a lot easier to heat and bend. Good luck with your project.
Robertfishes

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

bearauto11 wrote:I use a piece of ABS pipe and an electric Tea pot (my wife says it is a hot pot) to steam wood.
Put the wood in the pipe, stand it vertical, put a rag over the top, and put the pot under the pipe so the pipe fills with steam.
You may need to put a screw through the bottom of the pipe for the wood to rest on.
I made a couple of fishing nets with this method. Works pretty good.
Never tried soaking, so I can't say anything about that. But, the steaming works pretty good.
What is the project?
Good luck.
--Tom

Hmm thrift store tea pot may be in my future.

Indeed im making fishing nets lol. But im going to try a couple things to merge the bow world and net world. We'll see how it turns out. Ive got an idea for a modular form with interchangeable pieces for different size nets and handles.

Itll be a slow project since I cant ever seem to get as much garage time as id like.

Thanks guys
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery