Skip to content

ILF limb stack thickness question**2 sets glued up

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: ILF limb stack thickness question

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 pm

got limb #2 in the oven. I still need to make a drill jig.. I have only built one piece bows so this one is gonna go slowly..
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:08 pm

I have a set of limbs glued up..still have to get a drill jig put together. maybe Monday or Tuesday? The veneer I used has some dark knots in it, I think it looks "rustic" :lol: Image
Robertfishes

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Oh my! Those are going to some eye candy, huh? Looks nice.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:26 pm

The olive ash burl looks nice under the ULS glass so far..I only ordered 2 pieces each of UL and ULS.. The glass looked pretty good before glue up so I'm hoping it will not be too streaky..I glued up a limb last night with the UL glass last night again it looked pretty good before glue up. I'm hoping to drill limbs Monday night, grind on them and shoot finish on them by weds..
Robertfishes

Postby Mann » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:52 pm

WOW! Looks nice! :D
Natural Nat gear!
Mann

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm

in the last 24 hours I glued up a set of limbs with Koa and Sapele veneers under UL glass..I peeled the belly tape off of the UL glass, it looks very good with no visable streaks.. I bought this Gordons glass earlier this month from Binghams. I needed 20 pieces but I didnt want to risk getting a bunch of streaky glass. I might have to order 10 at a time and see what I get.
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 pm

Wow! That is cool looking wood.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby owlbait » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Why are you wasting those beautiful wood veneers on ILF limbs? I thought they were suppose to look futuristic and tactical! ;) :D
owlbait

Re: ILF limb stack thickness question**2 sets glued up

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 am

Last week I ordered a "Premium doweling jig" from Woodcraft.. I also ordered a Kreg Step drill bit and a "Brad point" drill bit. I got them Monday.. I cleaned the bits and jig of oils/grease and put them to work. I had limbs squared up and 2 layers of tape on limb back, with center lines and grid marks every inch. I put marks where holes go and put jig on limbs..I used the brad point first to check centering...it was dead on..I drilled the first hole with a hand drill and kreg step drill bit. I had to move the jig 0.420? Inch forward to a pencil line I made and checked centering and distance with the brad point bit..both were good.. I drilled second hole using the back slot of jig again with the step drill bit. I shaped limb butt, installed the detent hardware and put limbs on riser..I then pulled a string and limb center was pretty much perfect. I profiled limbs on edge Sander then glued on tip overlays with GG impact resistant CA glue. I drilled other limbs and saw it was 11:15pm. Had to call it quits since I have a day job. This is all new to me, my first attempt at limbs only..
Robertfishes

Re: ILF limb stack thickness question**2 sets glued up

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 am

Owlbait, I don't know what I'm doing...I bought Helen an used Olympic style bow over a year ago. She was shooting a 66" longbow I made her and had set several records with it. She shoots targets out to 70 meters outdoors and 18 meters indoors.. I think she should be shooting something I make not the SF limbs she has. To me its like the wife of the General Motors president driving a Ford or Honda.. And yes most of the ILF limbs are kinda fugly, I'm gonna use pretty veneers over glass, if my limbs don't perform well then she will have to use those SF painted carbon wood limbs. I'm a Hunter not an Archer.
Robertfishes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery