Skip to content

Bow form question

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Bow form question

Postby Iktomi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 am

After many years and several hundred wood bows, I'm gonna make the leap to building some glass lam bows. I gotta question about forms though. I am going to make my first form here from MDF, as I doubt that I'll do more than a couple or three before I start making changes. MDF is good for precision and accuracy, if not durability, but anyhow....

Should I cover the press surface with formica? Some other material? If so, what is the best way to attach it to the MDF press surface?
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Re: Bow form question

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 am

Formica on the side that touches the limb directly is a good idea. Ive always used contact cement for mine.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Iktomi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks Tj. The contact cement holds up well to the heat?
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Iktomi

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Ive never had one come off, pretty sticky stuff. I do believe I used smooth-on on my current form now that I think about it though. Its just what I had on hand.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:45 pm

MDF is not your best choice for a form. It dents easy and will swell with moisture and with multiple uses with the air hose may break on you. May be ok for proto typing but for a final form I would go with good plywood.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Iktomi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:07 am

This will be a prototype. I anticipate making changes and I don't expect more than 2 or 3 bows off this one at the most. It will be a fairly radical Asiatic type static intended to be shot with thumb ring. I've been shooting ring for a couple of months with a Korean bow, but the draw length is a bit short for me. High prices on quality bows of this type along with long lead time is forcing this insanity.

Here's a look at the template for routering the form. 56" NTN and 7" of reflex :) I'm either crazy or stupid or both :?

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... rvmfj5.jpg

Iktomi

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 am

If the MDF form warps, swells or breaks then you would loose $ 30-40 of fiberglass plus tapers, riser and time. plywood or LVL might be cheaper in the long run. ..Lowes has 3/4 birch plywood for $50 and MDF for $35, I don't know how much LVL is. Sometimes I can get cabinet grade birch plywood from the cabinet shop by my house for $30 per sheet.
Robertfishes

Postby Iktomi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:05 pm

So is MDF likely to cause problems right from the gate, or after a couple 3, 4 bows? I don't want to spend a lot on a form that may very well be used once. Since I'm a noob at glass, as well as this being my own design, I think it's likely there will be changes before I'm happy with what I make. If it IS good as is, great. I have my template that I can use to make a more durable form.

Iktomi

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Okay soo all my bows, except the very first one, have come off mdf forms :? I personally think you'll be fine for the first one, or a few even. Just leave a little extra mdf above and below the center of the form for stability and go for it.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Something you can do to make it stronger is glue and screw 1/4 plywood on the sides leaving it about an inch down from your profile surface. Then seal it with a cheap clear finish to ward off moisture. The down side is they get heavy.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery