Skip to content

I need pics of ILF limb forms, please..

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

I need pics of ILF limb forms, please..

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 am

I'm wanting to build a few sets of ILF limbs for myself and Helen.. She has a 25" riser and SF carbon wood short limbs. The bow came with SF carbon foam long limbs. So I to have 2 sets to "copy", but I will add a little more hook to the form. Having only built one piece bows I am clueless to limb only forms. Could I get some pics of your ILF forms? I assume I can make longs and shorts on the same form by having a moveable Wedge stop type thing? Thanks, Robert
Robertfishes

Re: I need pics of ILF limb forms, please..

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 am

I am buying a 15" Black Onyx riser from Mann for myself. I've got some figured imbruia? Veneers that should look good with the dark onyx riser..Helens limbs need to be light colored since she will be shooting Olympic type shoots in the sun.
Robertfishes

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 am

Robertfishes wrote:I'm wanting to build a few sets of ILF limbs for myself and Helen.. She has a 25" riser and SF carbon wood short limbs. The bow came with SF carbon foam long limbs. So I to have 2 sets to "copy", but I will add a little more hook to the form. Having only built one piece bows I am clueless to limb only forms. Could I get some pics of your ILF forms? I assume I can make longs and shorts on the same form by having a moveable Wedge stop type thing? Thanks, Robert

There's a picture of mine on page 4 of my ILF build-along: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11721&start=30

The form makes 1 limb. You might be able to rig yours to make long and shorts but I think you are better off having a separate form for each. What's nice about ILF forms is that they are super easy to make compared to the big bulky 72" long forms!
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 am

Robertfishes wrote:I am buying a 15" Black Onyx riser from Mann for myself. I've got some figured imbruia? Veneers that should look good with the dark onyx riser..Helens limbs need to be light colored since she will be shooting Olympic type shoots in the sun.

Imbuia is one of my favorite woods, it has a unique "spicey" smell to it. Figured Imbuia can be absolutely gorgeous.....not figured is pretty plain.....but still smells good!!
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks BK, the hole thru the stack and wedge is the kind of info I was looking for. The only ILF limbs I have put my hands on are the SF limbs for Helens Olympic bow. Helen has lots of friends with other limbs..W&W, Hoyt and Samik are popular, she has a friend with limbs from France..they are pretty radical looking like the newer Border limbs. I plan on using red elm tapers_, pretty veneers and clear glass on first limb set..I have a 1 3/4 x 16" x 78" form blank I glued up 5:years ago..I can get 2 limb forms out of it.I bought bolts and metal straps yesterday so I'm getting ready to build one soon..
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:16 am

I started on my template yesterday afternoon..as I was walking it over to the band saw I walked past the last form i made. The last one made a fast bow but limbs were too sensitive to grip pressure..I had second thoughts about what I was doing.. So I put template down and did a double limb tip repair on a friends longbow that our other friends wife ran over..I'll get form cut out this week after I change the template design..
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

The form is pretty much done..just have to make something to keep lams from sliding. Not using washers..I have some ideas for something else. Stack height will be a guess.
Robertfishes

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery