Skip to content

robo sander / pattern sanders

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

robo sander / pattern sanders

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:50 am

I know it's been discussed before but what's the consensus on the robo sanders? Id like to get one to try out, id probably get the 2"x3" tall model. Is there a lot of crown on the drum when its tight? For anyone that has one, is the phenolic follower good or should it maybe be retrofitted with a real bearing?

And are there other pattern Sanders that might be better?
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: robo sander / pattern sanders

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 am

I bought a 3"x 3" one 5 years ago. Mine did have some bulge in the rubber drum. I found a 60 grit tungston carbide sleeve that would fit over the rubber drum. I still had some wobble and I would have to play with it to get it spining correctly ..The sleeve was a big improvement and I used it to shape 20 plus risers with some simple templates I made. The sleeves are not cheap... I then bought the little Rigid combo sander, i used it on a half bows. Then I bought a used Grizzly 6x80 and recently added a pattern Sander on the motor end. The Grizzly is so much better than anything else I have used to shape my one piece risers before glue up. Looking back to 2009 I wish I would have started off with the Grizzly 1140, I was pretty sure I would be building 6 or more bows a year. Like most guys I am " on a budget" and was trying to save a few bucks..I now find myself selling off the tools I bought trying to save a buck. I sold/traded the 6x48" and 4"x132" belt sanders I had..but am keeping the handy light weight Rigid. Sooo if your gonna build a bunch of bows and its in your budget get a good used 6x80 edge sander and add the pattern Sander over the motor...
Last edited by Robertfishes on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 am

I did not have trouble with the bottom phenolic? Part of the Robosander..pretty sure i remember Kirk didn't like it too much though.
Robertfishes

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Get something better if you can afford it.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Mann » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Crooked Stic wrote:Get something better if you can afford it.

X2
Mann

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Crooked is right.. I only used mine for one thing, shaping the form side of my one piece long bow riser.the edge sander does much more.. My grizzly Sander with my jig is faster too..I sometimes spent 15-20 minutes getting the robo to spin True.
Robertfishes

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Man, I wish I could get the edge sander and follower setup, but that just ain't gonna happen. Too many projects and stuff to spend money on lol.

I bet I could make something better... does anyone know of drums that are something other than the rubber type? Wish I had a lathe so I could whip one up.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm

I wonder if the sleeveless style ones are less bulgy? I could figure out how to mount a bearing on the bottom I think...

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:59 am

Do you have a spidle sander now? If so you can mount a sleeve or a pin on the table to run your jigs against.
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.p ... 5;t=012215
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:52 am

Man why didn't I think of that. I have an oscillating spindle sander I could do that with. Might have to brainstorm and see if I can figure out how to make it the same size as the pattern rather than whatever that steel thickness is bigger. That plastic collar thing looks great too. Thanks!

I could cut the bottom of the sanding sleeve enough to where it didn't bump the steel at the bottom of the stroke. Then make the steel fit to the diameter of the rubber rather than the sleeve. Id just need thicker jigs, which would be fine, they'd be more sturdy anyway.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery