Skip to content

need to get back building..but

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

need to get back building..but

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 pm

I havnt been in the shop much since October.. I still have to finish my new dust collector system..hunting got in the way then I hurt my right hand..looks like I'm getting an MRI on it tomorrow? I want to build Helens dad a recurve for Christmas, but if I need surgery on my hand he will be getting it in the spring.. I did manage to fill freezer with 3 deer and 1 wild hog and will go after some more hogs this Saturday.
I hope hand heals quickly.. I have some maple long bow risers ready for glue up, thinking black glass, maple tapers, black and red tips..they will be low poundage bows arround 25 lbs. I have some people asking for some in this range.
Robertfishes

Re: need to get back building..but

Postby Trux » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Hope you don't need surgery on your hand :o . Sounds like the hunting has been successful and it would be nice to see those bows come to life.
Trux

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:48 pm

What did ya do to yer hand?
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:14 am

I fell down and hurt it on the landing..I did keep my head from banging into a big cast iron gear box though...looks like MRI will be later this week.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:31 pm

OK, i'm mostly healed up now and was able to start working in shop about a month ago..I built the bow for Helens dad and it came out very nice..I just got a Chromebook computer and am trying it out now...Image Image
Last edited by Robertfishes on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:39 pm

I have to build another 58" recurve this week..same specs as Helens dads bow. I have 2 risers ready to go, once I choose veneers I'll decide on the riser..one is a redish brown Sapele the other is brown/black Shedua. the guy i'm building it for asked me to choose his woods.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 pm

parts are on the bench, glue is fixing to get mixed....shedua riser, amberboo taper, santos rosewood veneers..glass looked good, ill know when the tape comes off...
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12 pm

I can't wait to see some pictures. Seems like we should be looking at pictures of the pieces right now.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 am

Didn't take pics of the parts. The glue up went well. The santos rosewood looked nice when I was spreading the smooth on. I glued up the bow yesterday and will grind on the limbs later today. I bought a HF hvlp sprayer with 1.4mm tip, a HF moisture filter a speedaire moisture filter and 2 speedaire oil filters..trying to get set up to spray Krystal..I have been using Bullseye shellac then Spar Urethane for oily woods.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 am

I pulled the tape off of the Rosewood veneer bow..the glass is clear with no streaks. I got this UL glass 3 or 4 years ago from Kenny or OMC?. I found it mixed in with some S Glass. The opaque S glass is something I wanted to try out but it just looks crappy ..some fuzzy glass strands on edges.. kinda like it wasn't sanded correctly at the factory?. It seems pretty stiff though.
Robertfishes

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery