Skip to content

spray systems

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: spray systems

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm

bearauto11 wrote:Yeah. Spraying with a compressor that loses pressure during the operation sucks.
Good luck.
--Tom

Or blows? :mrgreen:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 am

bearauto11 wrote:
Robertfishes wrote:I'm trying to get away from the rattle can Spar Urethane finish. I bought a touch up gun from Harbor freight 5 years ago and never used it. I just found it and now I need to get a oil less air compressor, I have a oil lubed compressor now. the cup size on the touch up gun is 7 oz. still a lot more volume than I need.. maybe I can put something in the cup to take up a few oz's of volume??

Why don't you just put in the amount of finish you need. I don't have to fill up my spray guns all the way.

Couldn't you just put a water trap inline on your compressor? I have an oil lubed compressor and haven't had problems. I haven't sprayed a bow, but I have sprayed cabinets.

--Tom

Moisture is as much or more of an issue than the oil. You just need something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-desicca ... 69923.html
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am

My current compressor has 2 tanks totalling 5 gallons and produces 4 cfm at 50psi. I may give it a try, but need to buy a good oil and moisture filter. The filter costs more than I paid for the compressor.
One of my friends paints houses, he just bought a cordless paint sprayer. He uses it on doors and small jobs. It was about $400 I think?
I have heard of guys spraying T-Bird with the Preval type of sprayers..I tried a similar system with spar urethane and made a mess of a bow, but the 2x4 I practiced on came out OK.
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:27 pm

BK in TEXAS wrote:
bearauto11 wrote:
Robertfishes wrote:I'm trying to get away from the rattle can Spar Urethane finish. I bought a touch up gun from Harbor freight 5 years ago and never used it. I just found it and now I need to get a oil less air compressor, I have a oil lubed compressor now. the cup size on the touch up gun is 7 oz. still a lot more volume than I need.. maybe I can put something in the cup to take up a few oz's of volume??

Why don't you just put in the amount of finish you need. I don't have to fill up my spray guns all the way.

Couldn't you just put a water trap inline on your compressor? I have an oil lubed compressor and haven't had problems. I haven't sprayed a bow, but I have sprayed cabinets.

--Tom

Moisture is as much or more of an issue than the oil. You just need something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-desicca ... 69923.html

Yeah. Something like that and a regulator.
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

I just got back from HF..I bought the 2 purple spray gun set, their big filter and a small filter at end of spray gun. I plan on spraying Krystal with the 1.4mm tip..
Robertfishes

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery