Skip to content

spray systems

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

spray systems

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:36 am

Hey guys, has anyone ever used this system before or any like it. Any notable drawbacks to a system like this?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/152797 ... F07%2F2014
arrowlauncherdj

Re: spray systems

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Hmmm Me thinks you should get one and tell us how it works ;)
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Yes. Me too. A little product testing!
bearauto11

Postby Tenbrook » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 am

I was thinking of getting one of those but the #1 problem I saw is that since it is not gravity feed your going to be wasting a lot of material that will not be getting sucked up by the straw. I only use 3-4 oz when I spray 2-3 bows at once. That amount might not even be enough to get that huge canister going. Plus when your done your going to have a bit leftover that gets wasted. I called the manufacture and asked this and they confirmed it probably was not the best choice.
Check out my website: www.tenbrookarchery.com
Tenbrook

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Cool thanks for the replys. I guess that's be good for like a deck or chairs or something. Just not these lil bows we build
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm trying to get away from the rattle can Spar Urethane finish. I bought a touch up gun from Harbor freight 5 years ago and never used it. I just found it and now I need to get a oil less air compressor, I have a oil lubed compressor now. the cup size on the touch up gun is 7 oz. still a lot more volume than I need.. maybe I can put something in the cup to take up a few oz's of volume??
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:34 pm

maybe this would be a better choice? it is HVLP and holds 4 oz of mix http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 92126.html
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Robertfishes wrote:I'm trying to get away from the rattle can Spar Urethane finish. I bought a touch up gun from Harbor freight 5 years ago and never used it. I just found it and now I need to get a oil less air compressor, I have a oil lubed compressor now. the cup size on the touch up gun is 7 oz. still a lot more volume than I need.. maybe I can put something in the cup to take up a few oz's of volume??

Why don't you just put in the amount of finish you need. I don't have to fill up my spray guns all the way.

Couldn't you just put a water trap inline on your compressor? I have an oil lubed compressor and haven't had problems. I haven't sprayed a bow, but I have sprayed cabinets.

--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:16 am

Tom, my compressor is also a little under powered for spray painting too. I only bought it to put in the last 5 lbs of air in my firehose, I have a bike pump for the first 55lbs..I never thought about a spray gun because the guys I built some self bows with all used spar urethane or tru oil. I havnt used a spray gun since autobody class in high school (1978)..so I'm gonna have a learning curve. I plan on using Krystal for finish.
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:06 am

Yeah. Spraying with a compressor that loses pressure during the operation sucks.
Good luck.
--Tom
bearauto11

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery