Skip to content

Need some advice

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: Need some advice

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Krylon fusion under tru oil works great JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby owlbait » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:36 pm

What did you decide on? I have a wenge riser Zipper stained black with black glass and it turned out great. Maple stains well so if you used maple core with the black glass the core should stain well. Good luck and post some pics when your done.
owlbait

Postby charl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I have actually not even started this bow yet. Been too busy slaving away at the daily grind to do what I love. Holidays are in order me thinks.
charl

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:43 am

african blackwood or gaboon ebony for the riser. walnut cores stained with an alcohol based dye as TJ mentioned. PTM&W epoxy... its what i always used for most of my work with carbon, its black. if the walnut cores aren't as black as you like when done, you can smear the epoxy on the edges of the limbs then sand it down to your desired finish. ;)
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby kcbrown » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:55 pm

I have sprayed over krylon with Krystal with good results, you just have to put light tack coats on it till you get it covered, You cannot put a wet coat on it. Play with it on scrap fiberglass to see what you can do.
kcbrown

Postby Kenro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:44 am

Several different ways to go about making "all black" bows. If I wind up keeping prototypes I will usually cover them.

If I stain.........I ONLY use thundirbird epoxy to cover stains. Reason is because you can keep piling it up deep over the stained wood before your first sanding. the tricky part with staining is not to burn through your coatings when sanding and into the wood. If you do :o and you want it to look good........start over! :x
As I said.....you can "pile up" the epoxy deeper before doing the flat sanding and layering of the top coats. this work will all depend on how nice and smooth you want your finish.

If I paint.......I do all the normal steps of building the finish on a bow FIRST until it is nice and flat and smooth.

At this point you can do two different things...... scuff the bow down to 400 grit smooth and just do the krylon color of your choice. I do two coats of this making sure all is evenly covered. Then I very gently take a purple scotch brite and give the bows new paint a light scuff .....if you burn through any where its an easy touch up and keep going. Then do my final top coat over that with two good wet coats.

OR

Another option in place of the paint......is using the "Higgins" ink. (like you use in a nib pen)
I use this stuff if I finish the bow with gloss. You get a VERY rich deep black with this stuff! Looks amazing!
But it is a little tricky putting it on evenly. Keep a wet edge and apply with a cotton rag saturated in it. Move fast and smooth!!
Good luck!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery