Skip to content

Need some advice

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Need some advice

Postby charl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:56 am

I don't know if this has been done before, but I have just received an order for a straight longbow but the buyer wants me to stain all of the timber in the bow black and use black fibreglass and make the nocks black as well.

I really like the idea and am happy to oblige but I am not sure what I should make the riser out of? I was thinking canadian rock maple for the laminations, and probably the same for the riser as the timbers are both light in colour and then after the bow is made stain it with some black japan wood stain.

Do any of you have any advice or ideas on how I can make sure this all turns out perfectly?

Thanks in advance

Charl
charl

Re: Need some advice

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 am

Staining can get a bit tricky...most woods will take a stain, but smooth-on won't. Any excess glue will show. You can use a sharpie to hide small imperfections but it won't be the same color as stained wood. You can make a mostly-black bow using wenge in a fiberglass re-enforced riser. The limb edges will still be light colored but you could try staining just the edges or slip a strip of bow-tuff in the middle for a black racing stripe. One other thought...a black bow with white accents is pretty darn sharp too!
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:15 am

All black with a little red in the tips is what i have wanted to build but never have.. Would black India ink work on the limb edges? I think you could apply it with a q-tip or clean lint free rag. I think a guy at bear told me they wipe it on their black glass bows if needed before finish is applied..
Robertfishes

Postby topcamp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:15 pm

riser = black phenolic with wood of choice for accent wave and extra strengh...... i don't build bows....nor have i ever had a desire to do so. and besides........it's a recurve........but if a black riser is what you want...........
Attachments
chaistain  bow 1 copy.jpg
chaistain bow 1 copy.jpg (173.42 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I have a longbow that has an ebony riser and black glass on the limbs. I think it looks great with the maple laminations showing through on the limbs edges.

You might want to think of leather dye for the laminations. I have found little that dyes as well or as dark as Febrings leather dyes. Haven't tried it on bow laminations but I do know for a fact that if I don't wear rubber gloves, I can wear the color for a month.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby topcamp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:58 pm

2 X............febrings leather dye................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Alcohol based stains are good because they evaporate fast enough to not allow the grain to raise up. I think maple would be a good choice. Black phenolic is good too but awfully hard on your blades and sandpaper.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Curly maple in the riser would be pretty cool and might gain some depth with the stain.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Krylon if he does not care about seeing any grain. Spray the clear over it. Like BK said riser staining can be tricky.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Crooked Stic wrote:Krylon if he does not care about seeing any grain. Spray the clear over it. Like BK said riser staining can be tricky.

Does the Krylon hold up well long term under the Krystal?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery