Skip to content

Noob Questions. First ILF Riser.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Noob Questions. First ILF Riser.

Postby GreyFox » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello everyone, new guy here. I have been looking around a fair bit and was hoping someone would be able to help me out with a few questions on build materials.

I am interested in building a 19-21" wood ILF riser using Cocobolo and Birds eye maple. I am unsure on what material to use for the accents/pressure strip, and I was wondering if bamboo would be a good substitute for fiberglass? If this is not the case, are there any material suitable for a draw weight around #50
What are the proper types of fiberglass or phenolic I should order for a good accent strip and potential I-Beam if no other material is suitable for the job?
Any information is greatly appreciated and I hope to learn a lot from you fine people here.
GreyFox

Re: Noob Questions. First ILF Riser.

Postby Trux » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:20 pm

For your accents I'd use core tuff glass. For an I beam cocobola or the maple you have is a good choice.
Trux

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Core tuff is good, or if you have extra the regular glass backing works just fine too. If you put a couple strips of glass in the riser you won't even need the I-beam. I've never really liked how I-beams look in a riser. I like to use 3 glass strips...white-black-white. Makes it look pretty sharp in my opinion.

ImageImage
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby MOUNTER » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Nice BK... New one???

Check out Bobmeisters ILF build alongs... Strong as they get.. Bet I could use the one he made me for a king bolt....
MOUNTER

Postby GreyFox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I really appreciate the replies, everyone.
What do you guys use to cut your fiber glass? is a 120 tooth saw blade too heavy for such things? I've worked with acrylic but never used or cut fiberglass before. Hopefully I have the right stuff to machine it.
An idea I had for a riser was to use clear accents, and I was wondering if someone has already done something with proper results.
Has no one used bamboo in a riser in place of glass? All my searches have turned up negative so it seems like it would be a bad idea to even try.
GreyFox

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:03 pm

GreyFox wrote:I really appreciate the replies, everyone.
What do you guys use to cut your fiber glass? is a 120 tooth saw blade too heavy for such things? I've worked with acrylic but never used or cut fiberglass before. Hopefully I have the right stuff to machine it.

Use an air cutoff tool, or a dremel. If you use your tablesaw to shape the limbs you'll want a bladed that you ONLY use for fiberglass. Dulls them up quicker than snot.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby GreyFox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Are there much health risk involved with glass, as opposed to something like Phenolic? I know to wear a respirator, but I was wondering if there were any precautions one would need to take other than using a vacuum with a filter to clean up the dust.
Thanks for the reply BK
GreyFox

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Good dust collector and a mask is about all you can do. A good hanging air filter helps-good housekeeping.
Bobby what is the black on the front of the ILF riser.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby GreyFox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Crooked. I wasn't quite sure if I needed to take much more precaution like one would with phenolic.
Has anyone used clear fiberglass as central lamination's in a riser? I was wondering if it would be just as structurally sound as a black or white fiberglass(I know nothing about fiber glass).
GreyFox

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:21 am

The colored glass is suppose to be a bit stiffer than clear and may help your limb performance a bit. As far as riser accents I don't think it would matter.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery