Skip to content

blast gates

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

blast gates

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 am

I am slowly remodeling my small workshop.. I have been using a 2 stage dust collector with a single hose. I just bought some pipe, fittings and copper wire for grounding. I looked at blast gates online. I saw the plastic ones but decided to buy metal gates.. I just got off the phone with "the blast gate company" I ordered 4 cast aluminum blast gates from them, $29 before shipping. The phone order went very well..the guy was easy to understand and knew what he was doing.. I should have time next week to finish the new piping system.
Robertfishes

Re: blast gates

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 am

The blast gates arrived as promised last Thursday. They look good. I can see that I will want to install them in a way for easy maintainance (gate slot cleaning).. They also sell blast gates with slide thru gates, they are self cleaning..
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:58 am

That's great. A good dust collection system is wonderful.
Can you tell me a little about what you are doing to ground the system?
Are you grounding it just to reduce risks from static electricity?
Thanks,
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 pm

I have been using a single ungrounded flex hose. I will be installing 4" sewer pipe with 4 drops.. 2 band saws, 1 6x80 sander and one for my multi station table and floor vac hose. I plan on adding solid copper wire ground along the pipe to dust collector then to ground rod. I just want to have a safer shop. There was a GP wood I-Beam factory by my office, their monster DC system caught fire in the cyclones I believe..it was said it could have been from static build up. I have all the parts, I just have to cut a hole in the wall and go from there. I bought copper wire holders and brass screws to attach wire to pipe..I am hoping this works ..
Robertfishes

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery