Skip to content

truck load of exotic wood???? we will see...pics added

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

truck load of exotic wood???? we will see...pics added

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:32 pm

A local guy says he has a truck load of exotic wood for sale..I talked to him on the phone. He said there are birdseye maple, rosewood boards and various unknown to him boards in the stacks..along with a bunch of veneer..he is selling them for someone else, lots of estate sales here in Florida. The pics he sent me were enough to make me want to look in person, only a 15 minute drive. Going to look later today..
Last edited by Robertfishes on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfishes

Re: truck load of exotic wood???? we will see...

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm

I say if you can it cheap enough get the whole load and peddle it to us po folks.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:41 pm

I bought the whole lot. Most of it is not really bow wood. I did get some zircote, cocobolo,zebra, bobote, mahogany..etc..some 2x16x10ft oak slabs and other big slabs..need to eat something now sugar low..
Robertfishes

Postby Trux » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Cool- good score!
Trux

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:02 am

There are some 3x3 x10' pieces that look like sapele? I wiped some denatured alcohol on one..it looked good. The veneer was 30 pieces of 10 x60 vintage oak and 16 pieces of a figured redish wood, maybe ambroya? I am hoping to sell the oak slabs, I need to knock the dust off of them ..maybe they will turn into maple??? I may have to donate some to the local HS shop class
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Well...I sorted thru the wood. I loaded up what I thought wasn't bow wood and sold it to a single buyer. While we were unloading some of the rough sawn wood he says this 6x8x6' is hard maple..I already kept some figured birds eye and tiger pieces. What surprised me was he didn't want a 2x10x10 tiger stripe cherry board. I thought it was some kind of mahogany..I still have the half crotch mahogany veneer and the oak veneer. I needvto take a pic of the cherry it looks pretty nice.
Robertfishes

Re: truck load of exotic wood???? we will see...pics added

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:10 am

I wiped a little denatured alcohol on this board it around 4 ft long 1 3/4 x 10" Image Image some of what I kept
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 am

I wiped a little alcohol on this board for a picture. the buyer didn't want this 2x12 x10' figured Cherry board, he said he has only had one customer ask for cherry in the last 10 years..I know cherry is used in laminations, but what about in a riser with glass added?? Image
Last edited by Robertfishes on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:27 am

Image I sold all of these boards, the ones on the left look like red oak. the biggest is 2"x19"x10'. I made my $ back plus enough for a nice dinner with Helen.. I still have some small pieces and veneer to sell. I gave a 1/3 of a truck load of what I thought was non bow wood to a local guy. I kept enough of the good stuff to keep me busy for a long time.Image
Last edited by Robertfishes on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:33 am

I think this is mahogany veneer? it is redder in person, it is not perfectly flat..Image The two lighter colored veneers look to be oak(20 pieces) and maybe hickory? 10-12 pieces.. the longest is 9" x 7ftImage
Robertfishes

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery