Skip to content

question on tillering?

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

question on tillering?

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:11 pm

guys I am trying to tiller for 3 under on that new curve I am making. Traditionally some bowyers just do even tiller, some dont change from 1/8 stiff on bottom as they would for a split shooter. My question is, what if I made the upper limb a bit stiff? like 1/8"?

Has anyone ever done that and what effect did it have on the action of the bow. I would assume it would make you have a lower nocking point, but are there any no no's to doing that?

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Re: question on tillering?

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:03 pm

I would say if you did not know you probably would not know the difference.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby stagmitis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:10 am

Even limbs,shorter lower limbs,high,medium,low wrist grip,shelf placement, finger load on string,overall dynamic of individual shooter,limb design.....All are variables that can affect tiller or "balance" under load. Because of these factors I dont pay much attention to any preconceived tiller numbers any longer. I let each bow dictate its final resting place.

Nothing to lose with trying a stiffer upper limb! Just go in small increments and keep shooting the bow. It will let you know if youre going in the right direction. If you gloss over the sweet spot you can always go back!

Best of luck!
stagmitis

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't know diddly about tiller, but it is nice to see Stagmitis posting again!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery