Skip to content

some fine boyer take pity on a fool

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

some fine boyer take pity on a fool

Postby mudlick branch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 am

I've been working on a bow for some time now with more failures than I'me willing to admit,and thought I might describe it and somebody set me right. It's 62" long 1 1/8" wide at the center 7" then tapering to 9/16" at the ends, whitewood hickory backed 3/16" thick, then in order of lamination, a padauk veneer, 21"long, 3/32" thick tapering to 0 over 7" each end, then a rift cut ash belly 7/16" thick at the center 7", then tapering to 7/32" at the ends, then a whitewood hickory riser 12" long and 3/8" thick. I glue these all up with titebond III, and clamp them on a form with 3/4" of deflex, and 6" of recurve. About the time I've got it pulled back enough to get it off the belly and begin tillering,a hairline crack will show across the belly, quickly grow deeper, and hinge itself to death. To someone more experienced, it will no doubt seem simple, staring me in the face. Take pity fine boyer,and thanks.
mudlick branch

Re: some fine boyer take pity on a fool

Postby 4nolz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 am

Composite without glass you can probably get a better answer at primitive archer forum.I've never had much success with them either!
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery