Skip to content

Eastern Red Cedar..in way of shop

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Eastern Red Cedar..in way of shop

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

I moved last year..But didn't move my 12' x 24' "bow Shop" building. I am finally getting round to it, I cut down a nice ERC tree today to make room, I had ends sealed with paint 5 minutes after it hit the ground. this section is 21 ft long, 17 inchs at big end and 12" at small end, other piece is 11 ft long. I am hoping to sell the 2 logs locally, but if I cant sell them then I will try to have a local saw mill cut it into boards ...OR.. If any of you guys want it you can have it for free, I have access to a tractor with a big root rake on front.. just bring a trailer I am in North Central Florida.. Image
Robertfishes

Re: Eastern Red Cedar..in way of shop

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Nice looking log! You could make a lot of stuff out of that besides bows.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Daniel Banting » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Red Cedar, one of my favourites. Wish it, and I was about 1,500 miles closer. Great offer! Your a good Pirate.

Regards,
Dan
Daniel Banting

Postby 4nolz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:01 pm

how much are the logs worth?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:29 pm

I went by the local saw mill, Showed him a few pics of the 2 logs..if I bring them to his yard he will pay $25 total.. There is a guy down the road that builds stuff out of used or scrap lumber. I am giving him the logs, there's over 300bf of cedar there. He has a friend with a small saw mill and will cut into boards after drying for 12 months. I was thinking about making some bow racks out of the 3rd and smallest log. I have some wild cherry to cut down in the future..
Robertfishes

Postby 4nolz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am

if you can send me a 1" board I can make you a pot call -kinda neat to use something off your property.Only needs to be 4"X4"X1"thick
4nolz

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:59 am

Nolz, That would be awesome, I'll send some your way when it is dry. Could you use a few pieces for yourself? By the time the cedar dries I should have a box full of exotics including cocobolo, verawood, carreto, zebra, etc.. I also have some Kodiak brown "dymalux" I got from Cousineau 3 years ago, it is similar to dymondwood but thinner wood layers.. I could send you a few pieces of each.
Robertfishes

Postby 4nolz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 am

no hurry I am building a new shop and usually make turkey calls between Jan-March-remind me.
4nolz

Postby MOUNTER » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey Nolz called in a young 2yr old this year with the wormy walnut one you made me a couple years ago... Worked like a charm! ;)
MOUNTER

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery