Skip to content

Take-down Re-curve Bow

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Take-down Re-curve Bow

Postby Ausbowman1 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:02 am

Okay, so I've had some experience with building 3 different self-bows, one snapped, the other two, spotted gum and ironbark both still work the first at 30lb and the second 40lb (29 in). I am limited in Australia to poor bow woods.

But now I am attempting to build my first re curve bow. I am opting for takedown as if the limbs snap on me I can make new ones. or change them for higher weights as I get better.

I've already half built the riser, it is a simple laminate of two contrasting woods, nothing fancy but will look better than a plain jane riser. I was going to chuck bolts straight through it, but I realized how messy it would look, so now I going to get some of those things that are like grub screws for wood, but with thread in the middle for bolts. Anyone know what they are called? Also, I'm going for 15 degrees angle. Does that seem right?

Okay, my main problem is the limbs. I've heard standard selfbow woods can't take the force of a recurve. I've seen on the internet that most people use glass and maple laminations, but I can't get maple. Would anything else work? Another wood? Hopefully from Australia. Or maybe some cheap synthetic material?. And I've seen that you can have clear glass, which I don't understand because I would have thought the fibers would be visible. Is it possible for all wood limbs? Maybe spotted gum core with a taper, iron bark belly and bamboo backing?

Another option; my friend how is a fiber glass-er has offered to help me out. He said I can just bring a mold and he'll make me some limbs from normal glass (woven, not that bo-tuff stuff) or even carbon fiber. Although I heard Carbon fiber is too ridged for bow limbs. Maybe I’ll just a backing for looks. My question is how do I go about designing it? Like what taper/ thickness? Can it be 100% glass (with a carbon backing, or no backing if that’s a bad idea) or do I need stuff in it? Do I need a wedge? And lastly, I have a516mm (20 in for you Americans) riser with 8cm (3.15in) limb pads, what’s a good length for my limbs? I’m aiming for around 35-45lb at 29in pretty broad I know, but I’m not too worried about it.
Any help with some of the above stuff would be appreciated, I have a feeling I might be a bit out of my depth here, but I’ve already done my riser so I want to finish this.
Cheers
Lachie
Last edited by Ausbowman1 on Tue May 13, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ausbowman1

Re: Take-down Re-curve Bow

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue May 13, 2014 6:21 am

I suggest posting your questions in "The Bowyers Gallery" - the folks who hang out over there know what they're doing and could give you a lot of good advice, suggestions, etc.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby bearauto11 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:49 am

I would also suggest you read the build alongs in the bowyers gallery. I think after you do that, you will get a much better understanding of how a laminate bow is put together. It will probably answer a bunch of your questions (make it easier for us to answer specific questions after you get a bettter idea of the direction you want to go).
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Ausbowman1 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:14 am

Okay, sorry about that. As you can probably tell I am new to this forum. Okay, I'll post on another board.
Ausbowman1

Postby MOUNTER » Tue May 13, 2014 10:01 am

Hey Aus, welcome aboard!!! There's people way more qualified to answer your questions, but I'll try a few. As Bear said it will be easier to get more specific once your narrow down your ideas...

I'm sure those screws you referred to have a real name, but most people just call them inserts.

I'm not too familiar with the woods you have available... Have you checked out the Ozbow forum??? Bet they can get you headed in the right direction...

While not always perfectly clear.. The gordons glass is clear enough to show all the wood grain and in most cases, make it stand out!

Many limbs are made from solid glass, mostly compound bow limbs, but composites of glass, foam and carbon are all being made. However they would take a whole lot of experimentation to find the right combo of laminations and what type of glue/resin to use.

Riser length is fine, but the pad angle is determined by limb design. Some limbs require less angle, some more... Personally, I would start with more angle (18 to 20) you can adjust the limbs a little with wedges later if necessary.

Only thing else I can add is, although 35/40lbs is pretty light. I hope you used some good stout hardwood for the riser if your not adding any kind of reinforcement. Good luck man!
MOUNTER

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 am

Unless you really want an all-wood selfbow, fiberglass is your friend.

I think Binghams even ships internationally.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 am

PS....having been on the receiving end of a recurve that exploded at full draw....I would recommend erring on the side of caution. It's not fun.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Ausbowman1 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:24 am

Okay, thanks Mounter. I did use some good hardwoods for my riser, so hopefully it turns out well. I haven't varnished it yet so I may shave it down to 18 degrees.

I'm going to just try all glass limbs, with a wooden wedge. Just see what happens. I'll definitely wear a fully face sheild and heavy gloves when I first draw it back and tiller it BK. Just see what weight turns out. This bow will just be for fun, I'm not considering using it to hunt game. And I'll look for those inserts somewhere. Hopefully bunnings has them.

Thanks for the help guys
Ausbowman1

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:19 am

All glass limbs may rattle your teeth out :twisted: can you get laminated bamboo flooring there? If you cut that up into laminates it makes good limbs and fairly cheap.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery