Skip to content

I think I see a delam in progress

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

I think I see a delam in progress

Postby Justinbullseye » Wed May 07, 2014 3:00 am

Guys, last year I noticed a small bubble looking thing under the clear glass on the edge of the back right by the fadeout. I put clear tape on it and used a pen to mark the outline so I could monitor the 'bubble' to see if it grew. It did.
I'm wonderful if there's anything I can do to save it. Add a carbon backing and trap the limbs to drop weight back down?
FWIW it's a .002/in hill style of my own make, I use the rubber band method.
Thanks for any ideas on how to save her and/or what could've caused it..
She has sentimental value to me, first buck I took with my own bow.. thanks again
Attachments
2014-05-07 04.59.38.jpg
2014-05-07 04.59.38.jpg (227.53 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Justinbullseye

Re: I think I see a delam in progress

Postby Kenro » Wed May 07, 2014 6:27 am

Looks to me like it was an "impact" bubble where the edge got knocked on something. Most times they don't really grow to much depending on where they are at. If its in a main bending area?,, then yeah , it certainly could grow and eventually delam..... and that would suck!
Your idea about trapping it off and then adding another backing strip is doable. (been there done that on protos) but its a lot of work and for just a little more you could make yourself another bow. (without a bubble ;) )

You could see if some "thin" superglue would be able to seep in under the glass but usually on an impact bubble the glass resin is just "popped" and it is just never going to get better.
Personally what I would do is display the bow with your deer rack and make another.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby MOUNTER » Thu May 08, 2014 10:11 am

I agree with Ken, looks like it got bumped on a sharp corner or something.... Try the thin CA glue and see if it fills it. I've never tried it and not sure if it's a good idea, but I've heard of people taking a tiny drill bit and drilling just through the glass and filling it with thin CA. Might be an option??? As small as it is now, I wouldn't be afraid to keep shooting it awhile. It gets twice that big then I'd start to worry.... JMO.

For the record, I am just a hack at this bow building stuff... Ken's the pro... Probably safer listening to him! ;)
MOUNTER

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu May 08, 2014 10:20 am

Kenro wrote:Personally what I would do is display the bow with your deer rack and make another.

X2
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Justinbullseye » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Is the clear glass less forgiving to knicks and dings or does it just show them more? I definitely use and abuse this bow, just about daily and it's seen plenty of rocks and concrete slabs. I think I'm going to use black glass on the next one. Think the .06 black glass out there would build in any more longevity? My bows sure aren't professional quality but I like to imagine the next few generations of Justins hunting with my bows.
I guess I should start lowering them out of the tree stand instead of gently dropping!
Thanks again!
Justinbullseye

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery