Skip to content

First Bow or riser?

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

First Bow or riser?

Postby Passingthrough » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to traditional archery. I have been shooting an ilf setup (21" excel riser with BMax limbs) for two years now. Hunted with it last season and was lucky enough to shoot a small buck and a doe.

Anyway enough with the intro. I have been wanting to build a bow ever since I started shooting traditional. I have read through most all build alongs on leather wall, here, and a few other sites. I have been considering building a bingham's bow for some time. However, I have not had very much experience with woodworking. I saw a few of the ilf build alongs here and considered that might be a better option to get my feet wet since I have a couple of pairs of ilf limbs laying around.

My brother in law would help me along this process and he has a good bit of wood working experience and did some cabinet work along time ago.

So I would like to know from you more experienced guys would you go with the binghams kit or an ilf riser build for a first time bow project and why?

Thank you guys...Know that which ever you recommend I will be asking tons of questions along the way...lol.
Passingthrough

Re: First Bow or riser?

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Go with the Bingham stuff. The ILF takes a lot more precise machining .
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Passingthrough » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks a lot Crooked Stic. I have been looking at Bingham's Takedown Recurve, td longbow, and pronounced longbow.
Any recommendations on ease of build or performance? I'm traditioning from a metal riser with recurve limbs so I was thinking of a td with a heavier wood or dymondwood riser. I thought this might be easier since I'm kind of use to a heavier bow with very little hand shock. Am I correct in thinking this way or am I off my rocker?

Thanks for any input.
Passingthrough

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Dymondwood is a good choice and bloodwood is heavy as hell, I made a curve out of it a while back which you can see a few pages back here and it feels like a compound its so heavy. Of all of the woods I've held in my hands it was prolly the heaviest I've felt. I would say both are hard on sanders and some 36 grit belts would be your friend.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Chemsolder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Yep I'll second bloodwood is hard and heavy, thing that fascinated me is when sanding the dust behaved much like metal dust, seemed to fall and not float. Recently my daughter picked out a piece of marblewood for her riser, it is heavy too. Haven't worked it much yet to know how hard it is on the abrasives yet though, but a quick wack on the bandsaw and the shop had a wet grass kind of barnyard smell.
Chemsolder

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery