Skip to content

A Tank Killer

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: A Tank Killer

Postby Daniel G. Banting » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I believe that if you are selective and only take broadside shots on a tank you can get by with a mid 40 pound bow with a razor sharp two blade of course. :mrgreen:

Dan
Daniel G. Banting

Postby Chemsolder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 am

What a beast post a pic of his kill or the buffalo's if he misses...The bow looks sweet, What is the speed difference you get with Carbon and foam vs wood? Not that I will try either anytime in the near future, just curious. Also that tillering tree is inspiring me to make a better mounted one, now to find the wall space.
Chemsolder

Postby Kirkll » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

Chemsolder wrote:What a beast post a pic of his kill or the buffalo's if he misses...The bow looks sweet, What is the speed difference you get with Carbon and foam vs wood? Not that I will try either anytime in the near future, just curious. Also that tillering tree is inspiring me to make a better mounted one, now to find the wall space.

Your mileage may vary using carbon/foam depending on limb design, poundage, and type of carbon used. I've got some designs I've got my best speeds and all around performance just using a glass /wood combo. I built an identical set of limbs using carbon /foam and my stability went to hell in a hand basket and it didn't shoot any faster. Flushed those limbs :roll:

things to remember with carbon.... every place you buy it has different strength properties. Uni carbon is the fast stuff but is not going to give you a lick of torsional stability. The bias weave will give you great stability but typically no more zip than glass by itself.... in order to maximize performance using carbon, it takes a perfect mix of bias and uni carbon with either a core helping you stabilize it, or a good balance of the bias weave using foam......

bottom line brutha... it ain't worth the time,money and effort to get such minimal gains, if any... ... much less the mental anguish you go through when you think you got it down and shit starts blowing up on you.... For the guys that want carbon bows. I'll build em.... but if you ask me... Piss on the stuff...... I've had a belly full.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Yohon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 am

"but if you ask me... Piss on the stuff...... I've had a belly full." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jesse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 am

Thats my kind of poundage. Actually a bit much for me :o . I like mid 60s. Looks cool and one of the nice things about a fast heavy shooter is the arrows dont drop as fast on the long shots :D
Northeast Wisconsin
Jesse

Postby ojibwe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

That is a missile launcher!
I understand your concerns with carbon,do you feel the same about using foam as cores?
VJ.
ojibwe

Postby Kirkll » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 am

ojibwe wrote:That is a missile launcher!
I understand your concerns with carbon,do you feel the same about using foam as cores?
VJ.

I think foam cores are pretty much a waste of money for the average archer. In some designs I've seen enough loss in vertical stability alone using foam, that i set the limbs aside and built another set using maple....Results: Same identical speed, MUCH better stability both torsionally and vertically...... It cost way too much to mess with keeping it in stock anymore. The last 3 customers that ask for it, i asked them why?..... bottom line, one went with bamboo cores, the other one maple.... and one insisted on the foam..... Now that i'm out of foam, the next customer that asks for it, i'm going to tell them no.... i discontinued using it.

On the other hand.... with the carbon. If you don't build carbon limbs, you are going to loose a lot of sales. It's just too popular.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby 4nolz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am

sounds like youve come full circle regarding foam and carbon
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby topcamp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

come on buckarooooooooos........get your head and asses out of the sand pile............time to move on to the future or be left out forever...............what they see happening with this stuff is mind blowing...........what it would do in a bow limb most likely would be the next big step.......... :o :roll: .......... ;)

http://www.graphenomenon.com/
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Kenro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm

topcamp wrote:come on buckarooooooooos........get your head and asses out of the sand pile............time to move on to the future or be left out forever...............what they see happening with this stuff is mind blowing...........what it would do in a bow limb most likely would be the next big step.......... :o :roll: .......... ;)

http://www.graphenomenon.com/

Sounds like the perfect type of dust for a builder to breathe in. So small and microscopic that im sure it will take a few hundred years to amount to black lung disease.
I think simple glass dust is more my cup of tea :D
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery