Skip to content

A Tank Killer

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

A Tank Killer

Postby Kirkll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Hey guys,

I just shipped this to New York last week and thought you might like to see something different. It's a Sasquatch hybrid long bow, with a low wrist grip. The owner wanted something he could hunt Caped Buffalo with and asked for a little art work to set the mood...

She's got XXX carbon foam core limbs that tip the scale at 74@29". She tested out at 191 fps shooting a 763 grain arrow, and 817 grains hit 184 fps. :shock: Can you say Tank Killer? :lol: The riser is Iron wood with a G-10 I-beam and the wood carving i did from sugar maple.

anyhoo.... he's a couple pics for ya..... something different for a change......Kirk

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Re: A Tank Killer

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm

The bow and the carving look great. That oughta work for whatever he wants to lob an arrow at.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby MoeM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 am

I agree, measurements sound like an RPG :shock:
A dumb question- are there classes/associations in the US where such a bow may be start as longbow in competition or is it always considered a recurve?
MoeM

Postby Yohon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:17 am

74@29....damn shoulder hurts just reading that!!!! Nice work as usual there MR. Kirk!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby wantoknow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 am

Cool & nice work as always
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby chackworth3 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Sweet bow! Sounds like it'll do the job
Chris
Dry Creek Bow Company
http://www.drycreekbowcompany.com/
chackworth3

Postby Bobmeister » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

I LIKE IT 8-)

Kirk, do you have any pics of you at full draw :o
Bobmeister

Postby owlbait » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Put some bubblegum on it and call it Bazooka Joe! Hope to shoot your bows some day Kirk. On another note, is that one of those high draw weight bows that guys shoot because they are lacking in some important manly categories? :o :?:
owlbait

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm

That should be good medicine with those grain weights. When you sat xxx carbon do you mean three pieces of carbon?
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kirkll » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Ya mike... Used uni-carbon belly & back with two foam tapers and a bias weave carbon core. The uni carbon /foam core bows can get squirrely as hell without using uni-weft or carbon weave in it somewhere. I'm not doing much with foam any more unless requested. i like the stability of the wood cores much better.

Bobmeister wrote:I LIKE IT 8-)

Kirk, do you have any pics of you at full draw :o

Not with me drawing it bro. :lol:

here's one just like it drawn to 30"

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery