Skip to content

Glass thickness... .030

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Glass thickness... .030

Postby Jon in Montana » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:28 am

What do you guys think of .030 glass? Any opinions of best use as far as draw weight or bow design?

What I mean is...
Would you use it on a longbow, R/D, or recurve?
How about a "snub nose" recurve like the Herters 46 or longer, less extreme recurves only, or longbow only?
Is there a poundage where you would not be comfortable and would want thicker glass?

I'm just trying to get some of the tumbleweeds blown out of this place.... the forum has been slow lately. This might liven up some discussion :D
Jon in Montana

Re: Glass thickness... .030

Postby 4nolz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm

you about have to use it on shorties to keep weight down otherwise the glass/wood ratio gets whacked resulting in shocky cast (too much glass).Having said that G/W ratio and cast comfort is more important to RD longbows or hybrids.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I have used .030 front and .040 belly on longbows. And I have done it the other way around but don't recommend it. I think the snub nose curves need it to make the bends good. Using 30-30 on lighter weight bows also.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Trux » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

I've used it on very light weight recurves (58"ers) with good results- on the snub nose I use .040 with no issues bending to the curves- plus I think the thicker glass on that design adds a bit of stability to the limbs.
Trux

Postby Kirkll » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I've had a lot of bows i laid up at .040/.040 that i sanded down to .030 that are mid 50's weight bows that were incredible high performance bows, and they are still going strong after 4 years.... i see no issue at all as long as it isn't that Bear paw crap, or the Canadian crap.... if it's Gordon's Glass it should work fine as long as you take care sanding it.
That stuff is stronger than you think.... Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery