Skip to content

Questions about phenolic materials

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Questions about phenolic materials

Postby Caustic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

A quick rundown to the background for my question;

Getting materials together to build three takedown risers, I asked a buddy (who happens to be a machinist) if the shop he works at uses phenolic sheets. His response was "do not talk to me about phenolic right now; I had to wear a respirator and hazard suit all day on top of having some of my measuring tools destroyed".

It turns out a guy on the night-shift had been machining some phenolic CE, went to clean up and did not check to make sure there was a filter in the vacuum. So he vacuumed up, pushing all the phenolic dust into the air and contaminating the whole shop. I was informed that the phenolic dusts lofts and is extremely carcinogenic due to the amount of formaldehyde in it, no matter what backing type it has.

So my questions are now: how do you guys deal with the dust from cutting and sanding when building risers? Is there a bit of a safer alternative?

Re: Questions about phenolic materials

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 am

I don't do this all the time but one should wear a resperator even cutting wood. Good dust collection etc.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby kcbrown » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 pm

It would be best to use a hepa type dust mask and combine that with a good dust collector with the same filtration.

Postby Kirkll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 pm

There is no replacement for a good dust collection and air filter system. The small little dust collectors are fine for sawdust, but do not get the air born particles that kill you. you need something with a big ass fan and a 4" line minimum to get the real fine dust. It's the volume of air flow that does the trick.

Wear a respirator when sanding is your best bet.

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...

Postby Chemsolder » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:43 am

I use to never wear a respirator for woodworking, now almost all the time and the nose reminds me when i dont. Get a good comfortable resparator and wear it. Then vacum and dust collector. Respirator is on my list of most important tools. Btw the disease from fiberglass dust will likely kill you before the cancer sets in... :) protective equipment is a must glasses respirator and ear muffs it sucks not being able to hear too.

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery