Skip to content

t/d longbow wedges

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: t/d longbow wedges

Postby Kirkll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 pm

MoeM wrote:Hell Kirk that 3-piece solution is stunning!
If I may ask few questions on it;
How long is that riser- and how far are the limb bolts away from its end? I guess only the I-beam reinforcement makes those fade outs design and shortness possible?

Thanks and greez Moe

Riser is 18" and my limb pads are typically between 4.5" and 5' inches long. it's kind of deceiving in the photo because of the long sweeping fades of my riser, but I've got 3.5" from my bolt to the end of the riser..... on my shorter risers i'll drop down to 3" from bolt to the end of riser. I build these all the time with no I-beam.

Yup Mike.... to find decent Mac Ebony, i have to go dig through a pile of it in a warehouse, and calculate some drying time. I finally set up an environment controlled room to store my wood with a dehumidifier. That helps out a lot. I got tired of sending these bows to Utah or New Mexico and have the wood shrink up on me. you can buy "KD" hardwood, but you never really know how dry it is until you test it. If i buy it at 10% and let it set 6 months in this cold high humidity climate in the winter it will soak up moisture like a sponge..... Not any more....
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby MoeM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 am

Hey Kirk
I was studying pics of those thind td fades and noticed a gap at the end; looks like you put a little slope on the pad`s ends to keep the stress from riser`s very end to avoid this thin part cracking- right?

GZ Moe
MoeM

Postby bow101 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm

That 3 piece Kirkll is a thing of beauty. I had to have a 7th take on the photo to make out the hardware. At frist I thought it was a 1 piece R/D bow. 8-)
"If i could build it right the first time, whats the point in trying"
bow101

Postby TargetSlayer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:11 am

Crooked Stic wrote:Just guessing here my wedges are around 8 in. I use a 16 in. riser. Maybe 3 in. past the end of the riser. Witch would be 22 in. fade to fade. With your 18 in riser and PLs you would have about 21 in. fade to fade. So you would be in the ball park there. If you are looking for the same perfromance as your one piece you may need to play with fade angle a bit to get it close. Like Bobby said wedges keep the flexing down over the riser. So 5/16-3/8 over the riser and taper down to .000.

May I ask Mike when you say about 5/16 "over the riser" and taper down to 000...
I'm sorry do you mean the wedge is flat out the pad to 5/16 past the riser then begins to taper there to 0 over its diminishing several inches?
I could just use clarification of what the 5/16 to 3/8" over the riser meant if not, thanks!
TargetSlayer

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:18 pm

5/16s-3/8s thick over the riser pad and it can start to taper just past the end of the pad.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 am

Anybody have suggestions on drilling limbs/riser with no jig? Im thinking im going to setup the fence on my drill so I hit the same center point on all my pieces, any other tips?

Also, going back to t/d elementary here, should I shape my limbs before I drill and bolt them on or get them to width then drill and bolt then shape like a one piece? Im deathly afraid that they're going to be misaligned
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby 4nolz » Fri May 30, 2014 10:38 am

TJ I have an extra Bingham's drilling jig you could borrow.If interested pm me
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Re:

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 am

4nolz wrote:TJ I have an extra Bingham's drilling jig you could borrow.If interested pm me

Hey nolz, thanks! I have one as well but I don't trust the thing. My grandpa checked it out at work and it turns out its way out of whack. All the holes but one are off center and misaligned one direction or the other by as much as .018" I believe. I only used it on one bow and it came out with some real crazy limb twist that I could never work out.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 pm

TJ when you set up your drill press fence do not flip your riser block to drill each end. Keep the same side against the fence for both ends same thing for the limbs. That way you can keep the sides that were against the fence together when you bolt it up. That way if you are a bit off center it is all to one side. I would drill after everything is squared up.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Justinbullseye » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Kirk,
Do you mind explaining

"The only problem you may have with that system is on lower poundage bows you get a lot more flex in the limb pad area"

I would think the same size wedges would have a greater effect on bows with thinner stacks, no?
Can't wrap my head around it.
I can only shoot lower poundage bows and am considering a 3 piece belly mount longbow with straight taper wedges, bad idea?

Thanks man!
Justinbullseye

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery