Skip to content

t/d longbow wedges

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

t/d longbow wedges

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 am

Hey guys, im in the process of trying to replicate my one piece in a 3 piece format. Im wondering what everyone is using as far as wedges, what dimensions? How far past the end of the riser? Straight taper or flat topped? With or without a power lam?

In my one piece I use an 18" riser, with a power lam that extends roughly 3.5" or so on each end. That power lam is a straight taper from .057-.000 in 12" but obviously only that last 3.5" affects the limb bend.

So im thinking that maybe I can double up my powerlam and use no wedge? So it would be .114 - .000 with 3.5" on each end of the 18" riser. Too much flex close to the riser like that?

Or possibly would I be better off using a 16" riser and doubled power lams and extending them to the same point in the limb?

How much contact area do I need at the limb pad?
Its .003 taper btw...
Thanks!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: t/d longbow wedges

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 am

TJ!!!

Hey I like to think of the limb wedge and PL as 2 separate animals. The LW keeps flexing at the riser to a minimum...it will flex......just reduces it. The PL.......like you know...........makes the limb bend the way you want it too. You can incorporate both into a single piece of wood if you want, but for a simpleton like me I use 2 pieces :)

Anyway there is a very good chance you won't get exactly the same geometry as your 1-piece.....just because stuff doesn't fit......but you know how to tweak designs ;)
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Just guessing here my wedges are around 8 in. I use a 16 in. riser. Maybe 3 in. past the end of the riser. Witch would be 22 in. fade to fade. With your 18 in riser and PLs you would have about 21 in. fade to fade. So you would be in the ball park there. If you are looking for the same perfromance as your one piece you may need to play with fade angle a bit to get it close. Like Bobby said wedges keep the flexing down over the riser. So 5/16-3/8 over the riser and taper down to .000.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kenro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:19 am

Hey TJ,
I should send you some pics of my forms on how I did my conversion of 1 pc into a 3 pc and kept the same unstrung foot print between the two. The only problem is that your limb wedges will be a real pain to make! If you are only making one or two bows then you can work thru that.

Start by tracing your 1pc form onto a new limb form blank. draw the throat of the grip and shelf location onto the new blank......mark the very tip of your fade locations on the new blank. (yes your power lam fades are the end of your riser)

from there simply draw a riser on the new form to fit between your limbs that will connect the dots to your existing fades and limb angle.....clear as mud right? :)
Text me if you need some pics. uploading them from my phone to here is a pain in the nutz!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 am

Alright, you guys are right and ill us a wedge and a pl together. After re thinking it a bit I think im going to use a 16" riser. Since my pl sticks out 3.5" from each end of my 18" riser it would be 4.5" on the 16". Ill split that 4.5" in half and make a wedge that extends 2.25" from the end of the rider then the pl will go another 2.25" from there.

I think ill be okay with the angle since I plan on using the same one limb form from my one piece for the limbs and I cut angles on my one piece risers that I could just transfer over onto the 3 piece version.

Ken, when I first had this idea like 3 years ago or something, that's exactly what I did. Traced my existing form on paper then added a td riser to it. But then I moved and lost a bunch of my stuff and didn't build for a long time yada yada.

Thanks for kickstarting the brain!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Ken I do remember you saying that you did your TD recurve the same way you have described for tj. Looking at your wedges I am wondering do you have to profile sand shape them?
Crooked Stic

Postby Kenro » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Crooked Stic wrote:Ken I do remember you saying that you did your TD recurve the same way you have described for tj. Looking at your wedges I am wondering do you have to profile sand shape them?

Yes....They are just like two "mini risers" within the limb.
And also "YES".....They are an absolute pain in the nutzz to make!! The important part is making them perfectly even measurement edge to edge. tried building numerous jigs for them but was never happy with the end result. Going slow and doing it by hand and being SUPER careful is the way to go. My buddy who I taught to build his own bow thinks I fly through them!..........took him about an hour and a half to make one that I allowed him to put in his bow! :D
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I like the double barrel power lams and no wegde at all system.i mill mine about .110 to nothing in 12" and off set them an inch at the fades.... The only problem you may have with that system is on lower poundage bows you get a lot more flex in the limb pad area. on bows under 45# i throw an 8" piece piece of glass or carbon into the mix to keep the thing stiff enough in the pad. I'm lazy bro.... Laminating my wedges make it a lot easier going into the form with the reflex i've got in my fade areas..... Works for me....

check this take down assembly out....

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby MoeM » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 am

Hell Kirk that 3-piece solution is stunning!
If I may ask few questions on it;
How long is that riser- and how far are the limb bolts away from its end? I guess only the I-beam reinforcement makes those fade outs design ond shorteness possible?

Thanks and greez Moe
MoeM

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Mac ebony? I sure wish I could find some local that did not cost an arm and a leg. :cry:
Crooked Stic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery