Skip to content

New to the forum and my most recent project!

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: New to the forum and my most recent project!

Postby 4nolz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:46 pm

oops sorry I re-read you used tip wedges
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Ullr Bows » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm shaping the riser on the second one of this same design. I have 2 more orders for them, then I'll be on to working on some recurve ideas! Also hoping to get a drum sander in the near future, should help keep the cost per bow down and give me a bit more creative freedom, excited for it. But yes, I am selling them. The pictured bow was the fourth bow I've ever made.
Ullr Bows

Postby Trux » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Very nice! The full draw sure looks good.
Trux

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 am

I like it! :D short working limb, cool looking riser.... and right on the money regarding purists... they can go jump in a lake if they don't like it....

Constructive criticism time...I don't know what type of phenolic you are using, but beware... some of that linen phenolic is going to go sideways on you with that type of riser design. i've built quite a few with the S flair shape in the back of the riser like that. you need to be careful and keep enough hardwood on the outside of the strike area to hold her straight. I've seen the risers actually warp if you get them too narrow. i try never to get below 5/8" on the strike thickness side, and i do ok.....

another thing that helps hold them together nice and straight is full overlays on the back of the riser which makes a "T" beam rather than just a samich ya got going there. the "S" shaped overlays are a pain in the arse, but they sure stiffen things up. A true I-beam is even stronger yet but it takes an additional lay up.....btw... if you use an epoxy base phenolic or a garolite material, that stuff is the bomb.... The only other problem yo get using too much glass or phenolic in your risers is you really gotta watch the moisture content in your wood. You send one of those to a dry climate and the wood shrinks, and the glass and phenolic stays put..and.....It will come back to haunt you. :lol: i finally bought a dehumidifier to help out that on that issue.

With all that said.... i don't see a strength problem running your glass all the way through the belly side and doing overlays like you have done..... Nice work bro.... Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Ullr Bows » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 am

Kirk, thank you much for your post! Almost missed it! I very much appreciate the info.

And by strike thickness, do you mean the thickness at the arrow shelf? Can you round it towards the back and belly of the riser, with 5/8's at the thickest, or have 5/8's be the thinest I go?

Also, do you think this design would be strong enough with just solid wood and overlays on the back S shape? Is the phenolic adding much strength in this situation? Would glass be better? I'd actually prefer to just use solid wood, but not if it's too weak to support the design. I am going to try and do some S shaped overlays on the one I'm building now, I'll post some pictures when it's done (That bow will be 30-35#, so hopefully won't be a problem, but my next one is macassar ebony riser and 50-55#, really don't want it to break haha). Any other ways to add strength to the riser design?

Also, to make a true I-beam, would I glue an overlay on to the riser and shape it before doing the glue up? So that it is sandwiched in between the riser and the lams?

Also, very much appreciate the info on humidity, definitely an issue I need to think about. Luckily, shouldn't be a problem with that bow and where it ended up. I do need to invest in one as well though, my climate control in my shop is basically non existent, and it can be rather moist here in Santa Cruz.

Thanks again Kirk!!
Ullr Bows

Postby savage1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Very nice. I am a fan of this style as well. There have been a few others out there. Abe Penner for one,
I cant remember if it was a Featherhorn? Nearly bought it in Kalamazoo years back. The thing is that the geometry of a bow is like a girl and you can dress her many ways but shes the same girl. The people that say a bow must look one way or another probably dont know this.

Good work!
Lou
savage1

Postby Kirkll » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

I just use that 5/8" as a rough cut minimum. then I radius the strike side from 1/2" to 5/8" at the throat, then back to 1/2" at the back of the riser. So the thickest part is directly over the pivot point in your grip. That way you can still use a thin strike material and have decent arrow clearance.

I would avoid solid riser blocks completely if i were you... if you want it all one wood with no accent lines, that's cool. Slice that bitch up in 3 pieces and flip the center one 180 degrees and glue it back together..... "cutting up big ones, to make little ones, to make big ones" It's an industry standard. A laminated beam is 40 % stronger than a solid beam is.... same thing applies to a riser block... Even laminated wood risers can blow up on you if you don't watch your grain run out. It depends on the shape..... what you are building there is going to require some thought. without reinforcement you will blow up a few in the mid 50's weight class, but you'll figure it out.... The wood flexes a hell of a lot more than you think in these risers, and they are only as strong as their weakest point...... ask Lou about that one bro...
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Ullr Bows » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Awesome, thanks again for all the info, was a huge help and saved me a lot of time, money, and almost certain pain hahah. Didn't know that about I-beams, will definitely be making all of my risers with I-beams from now on. Always thought it was just because the phenolic was stronger than wood.

Anyone know where to get some 1/4" thick glass?
Ullr Bows

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery