Skip to content

New to the forum and my most recent project!

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

New to the forum and my most recent project!

Postby Ullr Bows » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 am

After quite a bit of difficulty signing up here, I have managed to make it! Been a browser for a while, glad to be a part of the forums now, tons of great information here! So this is my fourth bow. The first three came out well, but were definitely not cashing in on the amount of r/d I have in this design (too long, not enough taper, etc.). This one I'm really pleased with and will be using it as the base for this model. I'm calling it the Fenrir model. Have a couple more of these to make for customers, then I'll be on to designing a recurve. Anyways, here it is, tell me what you think! (I'm quite open to constructive criticism!)

The info on it for those that are curious is: 22" riser, 62" ntn, .006" taper, 1.25" at end of power lam, taper to 3/8" at tips, woods are Cocobolo riser, action boo core, macassar ebony veneers. Still not completely finished with it, need to glue on some overlays and give the whole thing a nice sanding, but it's close. Right now, it pulls 47# @ 29.25".
Ullr Bows

Re: New to the forum and my most recent project!

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Man I love that riser. Very cool how it is recessed/dished on the front. Nice bend as well. When u said .006 taper I didnt know what to expect.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby 4nolz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:18 pm

do you glue it up full length glass then grind it down in the back of the grip?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Ullr Bows » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks!! I think the reason I had to use such an intense taper is because of how short my active limb is. The riser is 22" long, plus I have a powerlam in there that is 30" long, then the 5.5" tip wedges, and my active limb is starting to seem really tiny haha. The trick was having the tip wedges and powerlam still active and using the intense taper to push the bend further towards the midlimb/tips. And yes, I glue it up with all the lams running the length of the riser, then cut into the back. Also, this whole riser is made with one 1.5x2x22" block of cocobolo, had to be a bit creative to make it thick enough to support this design. Here's a pic after glue up but before gluing the extensions onto the belly of the riser:

And one of the riser after glueing on the belly extensions and just starting the carving process:

Ullr Bows

Postby Ullr Bows » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Couple more shots with the overlays on and shaped! Just needs finish sanding and finishing now.

Ullr Bows

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:39 am

What is your ibeam material?
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Ullr Bows » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:10 pm

It's black phenolic.
Ullr Bows

Postby MikeW » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Lot of long bow purists don't like a handle like,fact they would tell you it's not a long bow but I really like the looks of it a lot.

Have any good pics of the macassar ebony veneers? I plan on using that on my next bow and I'd like to see them, they look pretty much black from the pics.

Nice job,looking forward to seeing it completed.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
MikeW

Postby Ullr Bows » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Indeed, luckily purists are idiots! If you want to be a purest, go shoot a self bow, if you want to have fun with your designs and allow some creativity in, make it how you want! That being said, after I design a recurve, I do want to come back to the longbows and design one that's at least a bit more traditionally oriented haha. I figured if I'm making a hybrid, might as well have some fun with it, plus I think the riser design fits much better with the overall design and feel of the bow, gives it a different 'tone'. And you don't see anyone doing it! I see a niche, and I'm a fillin' it! Plus, if a longbow'er is really into longbows, hopefully they'll dig the bend and limb design, if not the riser :)

Oh, and I'll try to get some shots of the ebony, though might have to wait till I finish sanding the glass and get a finish on it to really see it. It's a super beautiful wood, but you'll definitely want some very high contrast pieces, the medium browns have a way of going very dark with some epoxy and glass on um.
Ullr Bows

Postby 4nolz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

how many have you made? you are selling these I assume? Are there tip wedges?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery