Skip to content

Homemade Thickness Sander

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Homemade Thickness Sander

Postby Chuck the Arrow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:59 am

[img][img][/img][/img]Thought I would post some pictures of my most recent project. There was not money in the budget for a thickness sander purchase this year, so I decided to try and build one. Inspired by some other posts around the internet, I found a set of plans I liked and modified them to suit me. My ultimate goal was to have it accurate enough to grind my own laminations. However I would have been more than happy just to have something that could clean up limbs and risers after glue up, make limb pads, etc. After initial testing,I have been very pleased with the results! I guess I got lucky cause I went forward yesterday making sleds and "practise" lams from 2x4's. So far, this project has exceeded expectations. I have limited shop space so I designed this machine to utilize the motor off my table saw. It is a "bench top" design that I can later add a motor to and set on a freestanding platform if I ever get to expand my work area. Don't get me wrong, if I could have swung the $$ to have a nice Grizzly deleivered, that would have been my first choice. However, I am grinding lams that are .001 or less side to side variance, so I am "Happy, Happy, Happy"!
Attachments
11252013 063a.jpg
11252013 063a.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Chuck the Arrow

Re: Homemade Thickness Sander

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 am

It seems that when we find something we really want to do such as bow building we find a way to have the things we need even if they are home made. That looks about like what I had before my Grizzly Baby Drum.
Last edited by Crooked Stic on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:48 am

Very cool can u post a link to the plans
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Chuck the Arrow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Here is the link I found with the plans that I used as reference. http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2010/05/12 ... ess-sander
Chuck the Arrow

Postby Chemsolder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Been toying with this idea too.. I was thinking only of using it to make lams, cleaning up a glued up blank wasn't even a thought now I have to have one. I currently use a board mounted under my belt/disk sander to gring lams...time to upgrade.
Chemsolder

Postby wantoknow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:25 pm

I had built something similar but built a hand crank powered feed table.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10456
Want To Know
wantoknow

Postby MoeM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 am

I`ve used a DIY sander myself, it worked very accurat but the autofeed is very helpfull to reduce bumps and really hard to be built on one`s own. The other helpfull attachment is easier to make- rollers or wide springs before and after the drum which hold down the workpiece!
Nice solution with the table saw combined!
MoeM

Postby Chuck the Arrow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 am

I plyed in the shop quite a bit this weekend making "laminations" from 2x4 studs. I learned alot. One thing for certain, a consistent feed rate is critical to a smooth, flawless surface. When I am by myself, I have found myself working from the side of the unit alot, starting the feed by pushing on one side and then reaching around and pulling on the sled from the other to finish. It is critical to have no pauses in the feed rate. If you do, you'll end up with a small dip for certain. On anything else, you would probably never notice, but on a lamination, it is not what you want to see. A little more practise and I'm ready to saw some maple and bamboo! :D
Chuck the Arrow

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery