Skip to content

A Bit Bored (done pics)

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: A Bit Bored (done pics)

Postby Kirkll » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 am

Crooked Stic wrote:I like all the figured maples. I am trying to get setup to stabilize wood. Then try to add enough color to the maples to make the grain pop and be able to use some of the softer wood. I know some trail and error is required. We will see.

I'm waiting to hear what you come up with on the Stabilizing thing bro. No more staining would be excellent!

Every time i try and stain a riser. I hate myself for doing it. The last two guys that asked me to stain maple... I just said; "Nope.... I ain't gonna do it..."

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...

Postby TargetSlayer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:50 am

My "Dye Howitzer" finally wound up dying about .2" slabs of hardwood after a longer period than I originally posted when it wasn't penetrating 100% yet; I haven't tried just leaving it without vacuum but I have to think the vacuum helps - the slabs sweat bubbles/effervesce and that displacement is replaced with stained solvent. The 2.0 version will be able to take pressure as well (DH 1.0 wasn't built with threads or fasteners for pressure) and I'll vacuum out the air then equalize and apply pressure. Are you planning on any pressure or vacuum to infuse wood with a strengthener or just submerge, set it and forget it for a while?

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I am going to use vacuum with cactus juice then it is cured at 200 degrees. It a acrylic type of stabilizing. I got all my stuff together and will try to make the chamber this weekend. I have not got the resin yet. First though I will try a die and alcohol for just a colored piece of wood.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Any progress?

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery