Skip to content

best glue for bow repairs...

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

best glue for bow repairs...

Postby Rigs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Greetings A ;)

I'm looking to see what you might use to fix a crack in the shelf of a riser... I was working on a locket socket take down and cracked a riser trying to pull it apart... I really like the bow and want to keep using it... even if it's still a one piece... ;)
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Re: best glue for bow repairs...

Postby Trux » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 pm

I see a lot of folks recommending loctite 420 for fixing cracks. If you have a good, thin ca that should also work.
Trux

Postby Kirkll » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:08 am

And my customers ask me why i won't build them two piece bows like that... :roll: There are a lot of one piece bows out there with sleeves in them that were either broken getting them apart, or flat out never came apart.

I'd mix up some smooth on and make her a one piece bro....
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I think a guy might have to build 4-5 to get comfortable with it. And it is something that can be done without a lot of fancy tooling.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Rigs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Kirkll wrote:And my customers ask me why i won't build them two piece bows like that... :roll: There are a lot of one piece bows out there with sleeves in them that were either broken getting them apart, or flat out never came apart.

I'd mix up some smooth on and make her a one piece bro....

It's still a one piece Brutha Kirk...Never could get the damned thing apart...just want to keep shooting the bow...I'll try the Locktite Trux...Thanks!

Jas
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:35 am

Rigs do you have an ibeam in that riser? If not that would be a great idea on your next one. I have been using about a 5/16 ipe beam in mine offset to the sight window side. I think fiberglass would be even better.
Crooked Stic

Postby Rigs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Crooked Stic wrote:Rigs do you have an ibeam in that riser? If not that would be a great idea on your next one. I have been using about a 5/16 ipe beam in mine offset to the sight window side. I think fiberglass would be even better.

No I-beam in this one Mike... probably will on the next. I don't think Abe Penner used an I-beam... He failed some risers thru testing and only lost a bit of strength with the takedown vs the uncut solid riser... Like 1500 psi fail on a whole wood riser vs. 1200psi on the take down...

Jas
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:21 am

It would be interesting to see how those test are done. Does he have something on his website?
Crooked Stic

Postby Rigs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:14 am

Crooked Stic wrote:It would be interesting to see how those test are done. Does he have something on his website?

No...just info I got from him when I first started researching building a two piece. Wish I had more for you Mike.

Jas

P.s. What glue would you use to try to fix a crack in a bow?
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Thin Ca has worked for me. I have not tried the 420 yet. I just got a bow back from a guy that had a string groove issue ( was using too big a loops) anyhow I remember when I built the riser I did not let the wood climatize enough and it moved on me after glueup. I filled the small separation with thin CA. That bow has been out 4 years now and doing fine.
Crooked Stic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery